III. The Baker

"Stop! Please!" My mom shouted as the werewolf teared my grandad apart, blood and intestines flying everywhere.

"That's what you get for killing one of our wolves, huntsman." The wolf spatted. He looked over to where my mom and I stand, already terrified by the massacres the werewolves cause, and hungrily smirked.

"You two look delicious! I think I'll have you guys for lunch!"

"G-Grandpa! G-Grandma!" I cried, tears streaming down my face, my eyes wide open in terror. My mom was holding my hand that time while also holding a rifle.

"S-Stay back!" My mother pointed the rifle at the werewolf who just laughed

"You think that will stop me?! Think again!" He stepped towards us as my mom backed away until her back hit the window, me shivering

"Well, time for lunch!" The werewolf lunged at us, sharp claws almost near me and-

I immediately bolted myself out of bed, panting and sweating from the nightmare.

That wasn't a nightmare. I thought. That dream was real.

I sighed and looked around the room to see nothing but pitch black darkness.

Gods, it's not even morning yet.

I annoyingly sighed as I got out of bed. Might as well start making the pastries for today.

I changed into some jeans, a white polo shirt, my watch and a red jacket and locked the door to my bedroom. I passed by another bedroom with its door ajar and peeked in a little.

My mom is still sleeping peacefully, her face free of worries and sadness.

I smiled sadly as I remembered the nightmare again. No one deserves to experience what we saw and I'll make sure of it.

I scribbled a note for my mom saying I already went to the bakery and sticked it on our refrigerator. I quietly closed the front door and started heading to my mom's bakery, the sun not yet showing in the horizon.

I noticed villagers hanging red banners above the streets and shops selling red hoods and plastic scythes.

So it's that time of year again, huh? I smiled and waved at the villagers passing by. They waved back with vibes of excitement. Even in the early morning, I'm surprised to see them like this.

Guess the festival's something to be excited about.

I continued walking down the street, occasionally helping some villagers putting up some banners and moving objects out of the way, and finally reached the bakery. I took out the key, unlocked the door, and switch on the lights.

The Derlon family has been baking for generations since my great-great-great grandma started opening up her own bakery in our old village, the sweet smell of bread and pastries spreading through out the whole village. Since then, my family learned how to bake, though some of us don't want the baking business and went for hunting or selling crops and animals.

My mom though, she is the best baker in my family. She would bake my great-great-great grandma's cookies and can even create her own pastries. I mean, my family can create new pastries, but her creations are always special. One of her creations is our best seller Red Hood brownies. Since we moved here, she created these brownies in honour of the Red Hood like everyone else. When you take a bite out of it, you will receive a big splash of sweetness from the strawberry filling and deliciousness of the chocolate brownie itself.

When she first baked the brownies, she gave some to our neighbors and was delighted when she received great feedback. Soon, everyone wanted her to bake those brownies and that's how our bakery began here in the capital.