|1| Out of the Shadows

Author Note
Again, like the previous story we are starting in 3rd person so that Mallow can join in the fight at a point that makes sense :3

***************************************

——2016 : Vienna——

Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter are walking through a hotel after Peggy's funeral, friendly conversation flowing easily. People mill about, paying no attention to the pair.

"My mom tried to talk me out of enlisting, but not Aunt Peggy. She bought me my first thigh holster." Sharon begins to talk, making light conversation.

"Very practical."

"And stylish." They stand by an elevator and face each other.

"CIA has you stationed over here now? "

"In Berlin, Joint Terrorism Task Force."

"Right. Right. Sounds fun."

"I know, right?"

Steve nods and smiles, pausing while a smile makes it's way onto his face and humor creeping into his voice. "I've been meaning to ask you. When you were spying on me from across the hall... "

Sharon gently interrupts him, "You mean when I was doing my job."

"Did Peggy know?"

"She kept so many secrets. I didn't want her to have one from you." A ding signals the arrival of the elevator. "Thanks for walking me back."

"Sure."

Sam walks over, a serious expression on his face. " Steve. There's something you gotta see."

Steve looks at him and the pair follow him and look up at the TV while a news station reports about a bombing in Vienna.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna."

"Who's coordinating? " Sharon began to speak into a phone.

"More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier." The TV shows a blurry and zoomed in photo of 'The Winter Soldier'. "The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

Steve tenses up, a confused look flashing in his eyes. Sharon starts to leave, "I have to go to work."

Smoke billowed out of the building in Vienna, fire crews evacuating and rescuing people from the collapsing concrete walls. The bomb had killed a few, injured many, and left the survivors shaken. Here is where the Sokovia Accords would have been ratified, but now it was the site of a bomb explosion. Among the dead, was the King of Wakanda: T'Chaka.

T'Challa, the king's son, is sitting on a bench looking stunned. Natasha Romanoff solemnly walks over in a black suit. "I'm very sorry."

He glances at her. He's holding an silver ring and is toying with it between his fingers. "In my culture death is not the end. It's more of a... stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where... you can run forever."