TWENTY-THREE

Bucky's heart was racing. "Get out of here," he muttered to the others, waved his hand to the opening Tony had managed to get. The quin-jet hovered at the entrance. "Go now, or else everyone else is going to die!" he exclaimed louder, not taking his eyes off June.

She was standing at the door she had slammed open. She hadn't reacted yet because she was fighting her self. Her Activated Self hadn't fully taken over yet.

Bucky heard the others getting on the quin-jet.

"Come on Bucky," Steve's voice called.

Bucky shook his head. "I'm not leaving her."

"She's going to kill you, the moment she opens her eyes, she is trained to kill you!" Steve cried.

"Go,"

The quin-jet's rockets fired up. "No Bruce!" yelled Steve, looking back to the cockpit.

Bucky looked around the experiment room. He had only a few moments before June would be fully Activated. He suddenly had an idea. He took off some leather restrainment straps from a nearby table and wrapped them round June. He felt her try and open her arms to fight him but she was too busy fighting her mind.

He ignored her occasional groans and screams as she fought the sickness overtaking her mind, and picked her up. Her squirms where no match for his arms as he placed her on the experiment table.

Last time he almost got activated, she stopped it by knocking herself out. Bucky didn't know his own strength, and last time she should've died, he didn't know if this time they'll be so lucky. This was his only option to get both of them out alive.

He put the metal restrains on her torso. At any moment, she could open her eyes and he'll be dead in seconds. He took a deep breath as he pulled the lever.

A machine lowered and clamped itself onto her head. The cold of the metal woke her up. June's eyes were the purple Bucky saw last time she almost tried to kill him.

The moment she opened them, electricity shot through the machine into her head. The room was familiar to the screams, but Bucky wasn't. He winced as he muttered 'Sorry,'.

He stepped back as he frowned at the purple mist hovered over the floor. He coughed and clenched the gun in his hand.

He stared at the girl he once loved in their forgotten memories, screaming.

No one would know if I killed her,

Bucky frowned and opened his eyes. He never closed them. His gun was on her chest. The mist was thick and were over his eyes. He spluttered and stepped back again.

He squinted through the mist to see June. Her veins were glowing, and dark purple seemed to have engulfed her eyes.

He heard footsteps running up the corridor. He didn't have time. So Bucky fought through the mist, ignoring the invasive thoughts and smashed the control panel and took off the machine. the mist was slowly lowering.

He picked up June, still in the leather restraints, and picked up her headpiece off the floor, which she took off when she was fighting herself.

He dropped his gun with his full hands and jumped through the opening Tony made and landed on the balcony underneath.

"Care to pick up a senior citizen?" gasped Bucky through his commlink.

He looked around the skies in hope. "Of course," finally came through the voice of Natasha after a while.

---

"The perfect re-welcome wagon would be June," Bruce muttered, referring to Peter.

"Except she's unconscious." Natasha sighed. She glanced to Tony, who had returned from the Medical Bay a few moments ago. "What did you guys find?"