The Council had this crazy notion that if we, our family in particular, bared a female child we would soon over throw their system. So the legend tells, anyway.

So they came to the house, the barrier protecting us from their view. My parents said their goodbyes, and my mother, my sweet mother, gave Schuyler to me. She told me to run, to run and never look back. She told me to forget about them and to only worry about Schuyler for the rest of our lives. Of course, I complied. I always did as I was told.

So I ran. To the nearest human hospital, I went. Mother had told me before I left to cast THE spell, to send her memories far, far away, and to replace them with others. That started her life over again, all the way back to being newborn. I was forced to replace Schuyler with one of the babies in the nursery. Only with one that looked so much like the baby that no one would question. I had to leaved the other baby in another place for adoption.

~~END FLASHBACK~~

It was the hardest thing to do in my life. Letting go of Skye like that. And for a time I monitored her. What she did, how she was doing, but then I came to a problem. I'd lost her after doing an extremely important job, a mission. But now all is done. I have found her once again, but she is so lonely.

Is there not a friend of hers that can live with us for the rest of our lives? I asked her the question, and she looked at me, hesitant. She knew the answer, but she was afraid of it, I could tell. Furthermore, I'd told her that no others of her friends had been killed, a promise that I could not keep. She looked at me again.

"But, even if I do, would I sacrifice my friends for my own selfish desires?...No...I couldn't. Not unless something had happened to one of their families. No..." She told me, having a sad face.

"I know you wish you do. I will see who, in your area, of your friends, of course, that might work. I don't want you to worry. I will take care of you." She did not trust me. I had still not answered even one of her questions. And she realized it to, as I did. "Rest, dear, for it is still dark, and you are tired and exhausted." I leaned down to kiss her cheek, but she moved away slightly. I chuckled and left the room.

Schuyler's POV

I couldn't. I wanted Kay here, desperately, but I couldn't take her from her family. Sure, she'd be sad that I was gone, but she would be even more if her family was gone. I wasn't that selfish. But even though I wanted her to be with me desperately, and that I didn't want to take her away from her own family, I knew, for some reason, that she would soon be joining me. And I hated to think of that, because I loved the girl so much, as my sister, but she would only be here with me if something really, really bad had happened to her family.

So I lay in bed, trying to go to sleep as the Sire had said. And before he left and I drifted, I asked him one question.

"Hey," I said softly, very faint. "What's your name again?"

He smiled at me very sweetly, and said, "My name is Amir." But instead of drifting, my mind whirled with questions and familiarity.

Hey, I know you.

Kay's POV

I woke up in a hospital. There was an officer sitting next to me. She had the sweetest eyes I think I had ever seen.

"Hey, there, dear, finally up?" I nodded. "So, I know it's going to be very painful, but I want to ask you a few questions." I nodded again. "Okay, first one: What are the names of the people that lived there?"

I said their names, slowly. "The kid's name is Seth. Their mom's name was Selene. And the dad's was Brant. And the girl-" Tears began to come to and eventually overflow my eyes. "The girl's was...Schuyler."