Romance - The Two Of Us

"Did I ever stand a chance?" He said, peering at her through the curtains of water, separating the different worlds. As if it were glass he could not penetrate, a smooth shield that screams at you the ugly truth of the universe. 'You can't have everything you want.' He wanted to touch her face, slip through the water, but every time he tried he'd cower back as if the liquid burned him.

"You did," She said, her cold hair floating around her wide face. She looked like paint. As if she were to wash away into the never-ending pool of darkness below her. "Once." Her sweet, low voice sounded through his ears. Her deep, grey eyes peered at his untouchable face. Pools of green whitening her face.

He watched the water grab her hand tightly as her fingers penetrated the clear barrier, touching his warm hand. Fire tingled her fingertips as she touched his rough skin as his tears bounced on the water.

"If only you were of my world," He said, feeling her palm turn his arm to ice. She was deathly cool. She gave him an icy kiss, his being leaning after her as she pulled away.

"If you had done this years ago," she paused as she pulled herself onto the rock next to his. Her scales glistened into the sun, echoing off the waters. "You could be telling me those outrageous stories you're obsessed with. 'The Little Mermaid' was always a favourite of yours."

"If only," he chuckled softly. "Two beings sitting next to each other on the border of each of their worlds, missing home." She looked at him with a soothing smile, it was calm and small, brushing his dark hair with her fingers.

"Wishing to escape into the setting sun in front of them, that showed how different the two really were, and wanting to be together forever and always."

"Just the two of us."

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

What journey did the mermaid and the man take to get where they are? How could this end differently?