Chapter 1

Gregor traced his fingers over the edge of an envelope. It was from the Manhattan School of Music. He had received a scholarship from his school in Virginia and had finally decided to apply, he had finally received the letter for the date of his audition. He was planning on getting a degree in jazz performance and composition, and what better place to go than near his old home?

Slowly, he opened the envelope. How soon would he be allowed to return to New York? His parents couldn't stop him anymore. He was eighteen now; an adult. He could leave whenever he wanted.

As soon as the envelope was open, he pulled the paper out, quickly reading the words.

Six weeks. His audition was in six weeks.

Just enough time to visit Regalia, he thought in his mind. He'd been away for more than 6 years. Everyone should still remember him. Hopefully.

"What's that?" a voice asked from behind him.

He quickly hid the paper in his pocket. "What? Oh, nothing. Boring stuff." He turned to his nine-year-old sister, Margaret. Everyone called her Maggie or Mags.

"Yeah. Right," she said, grinning. "Show me."

Comparing her to how Lizzie used to be would be like comparing a cat to a dog. Completely different.

Maggie was much more outgoing, while Lizzie, who everyone calls Elizabeth now, was much shyer and quiet at the age of nine.

"No! It's none of your business, Mags," He said.

"I think it is," She replied. "And if you don't tell me, I'll tell Mom and Dad!"

Gregor groaned. He sometimes wished that Maggie was more like Elizabeth had been. Less annoying. "Fine. Tell Mom and Dad. It doesn't change anything."

Maggie huffed, sticking her tongue out and ran out of the room.

Gregor let out a breath. At least he wouldn't have to worry about her anymore.

Looking back at the letter, he started to make a plan in his head. He had just bought his own truck with money had saved up with his job, and though he usually only drove as far as school or the supermarket. If he left in the middle of the night, he would finally be able to get to go farther.

That's the plan then, he thought. And I'll finally get to see them again.

Out of all the people he missed most, it was Luxa he was most excited to see. More importantly, Ares would have come first, but since his death, it was hard to even think about his bond without tearing up. He still felt like he could have done something.

Trained harder.

Been more careful.

But instead, his bond died, while he lived, despite what the prophecy had said. Ripred's disbelief in prophecies had reminded Gregor over and over again that everything that happened was just a dumb way for Sandwich to control everyone. He was almost as bad as Solovet.

Gregor sighed. At least this time I won't have to deal with any more prophecies. They said I was only in a few. But maybe reading them one last time will finally bring some closure.

Gregor ran through his list of materials he would buy on the way to New York, and the list of things he would have to pack at home. Lights. Duct tape. Batteries. The most important items, though his echolocation still hasn't failed him in his years above ground. Extra clothes for after his trip to the underground. An extra pair of shoes. A blanket. Rope. A pocket knife. Cans of food. Snacks. His wallet. And lastly, his instrument. Can't audition without that.

Throwing the stuff that was in his room into his suitcase, he took a final look around his room. He couldn't believe it. Out of everything he had collected over the years, this was all he was bringing?

His mind went back to his parents. What would they think? They'd be so angry with him. But he is an adult. That shouldn't bother him. They could only ground him if he lived under their roof, right? And he would write a note. A short one.

I should do that now, Gregor thought, pulling out a notepad and pencil from his sock drawer. He let out a breath, quickly writing.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I know you will be upset. And angry. But I have to do this. It's my future. I'm going back to New York for college and that is where I will eventually live. I will visit Regalia, and my friends, and live life how I have wanted to since... everything.

I know you don't want Maggie remembering anything about what happened, which is why you can't come after me. Elizabeth can't stay alone with her for that long, even though she is way more mature than I ever was.

Just promise me you will stay here and let me live my life how I want.

Love, Gregor

He set his pencil down, reading through the words. This was it. He was really going. And nothing would stop him.

A/N: Hello! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my new fanfiction! It probably won't be too interesting at first, and updates will be slow, but I hope anyone that reads it will enjoy it! That's all for now, and thanks for reading!