Waimea Wooden Playground

Start from the beginning

"That's still great though. I'm glad that you guys won." Santana's mom was starting to get left overs out from the refrigerator. "Did you guys eat already?"

"I had some food before we left Hilo mom. Babe? You hungry?" Brittany could smell the food that was warming up in the microwave. "You know you want to eat."

"Yeah. I smell lasagna." Brittany got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen to make a plate. "It smells super good."

"It's delicious. I made it last night. First time making this too." Brittany took a bite and was instantly in heaven. She loved pasta and lasagna was definitely on the top of her list. "I'm guessing by the look on your face you like it."

She nodded, continuing to chew on her food.

"Are you two staying here for the night?"

"Yes, we are. But I think we're going to Waimea tomorrow night."

"Can I tell you a secret?" Lani was looking into the living room to make sure that Santana wasn't listening. She was watching the movie still, looking down at her phone probably texting Rachel. "Santana hasn't been this happy in ages. I'm glad that you came along."

Brittany didn't know what to say. Was Santana never happy? Maybe it was because of her dad not being here like he used to. Why she was happier, Brittany wasn't sure. But was she was sure of was the fact that her mom noticed that she was happier, and that made her much more happier.

"Was she bad or something?" Brittany took a seat at the counter across from Santana's mom.

Lani shook her head and laughed a little, "No honey, she wasn't bad. She was just, a little kolohe (Co-low-hay). That's all. And when her dad left, I was transferred to nights against my wishes and it was hard to keep track of her. I started to get worried because alcohol started disappearing from the cabinet." Brittany's eyes grew wider, she didn't think that her mom knew about Santana's past. "Oh don't look so surprised, I mean I still kept my eye on her. I'm sure she's told you the story about Rachel finding her passed out at school. Well, Rachel called me to let me know what happened. It was the responsible thing to do and I was very very happy that she had someone looking out for her. And since then they were really close. Rachel kept her out of trouble. And so do you. You keep her, you could say level headed. And I'm so thankful for that."

"I love her, and I'd do anything to keep her on the ground. If that makes sense." Lani smiled.

"I know what you're saying, Brittany."

"What does kolohe mean by the way?"

"Oh! I'm so sorry. I always forget that you not going understand everything I say. Kolohe. It pretty much means like, naughty or rascal."

"I can see her being that way. She is sometimes, but she never gets too out of hand. Nothing I can't handle." Brittany continued eating.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep you from her, she must be wondering where you are. Go ahead. Go finish watching your movie." Brittany grabbed a little more lasagna before leaving the counter.

"Thank you for the lasagna, it's lovely."

"You're welcome here anytime, honey." Lani smiled and Brittany turned to walk back into the living room. She stopped to look at Santana, who was too into the movie to realize that Brittany was watching her. To know that Santana's mom noticed that she made her daughter happy was definitely a huge compliment.

"Babe?" Brittany snapped out of her daydream and smiled. "What are you doing?"

"Sorry. Nothing." She sat on the couch next to her girlfriend and finished her plate of lasagna. Santana took the empty plate from her and brought it into the kitchen. When Santana came back, she found Brittany falling asleep on the couch. She layed with her, gently rocking her until she fell asleep. School the next day would be very eventful, so they needed all the sleep they could get.