#11: Flatmates

Beginne am Anfang

"This sounds great. Uhh... Is 7 p.m. tomorrow good for you?"

"Yeah, well... I'll be wearing a long black coat and a red beanie so that you'll recognise me".

"Okay... See you there, ma'am. Can you please text me the address?"

"Of course. See you there, sir".

Loki hung up and stood there, thinking. He remembered Bucky's words: "When you joined the Avengers, she had some questions on the subject, and knowing that I am an Avenger too, she came to me. I replied to those questions, telling her what I knew about the subject and the reasons we recruited you and she seemed to understand, and maybe... like you a bit...?" How could anyone ever know his story and like him?

~-~-~

Y/N ran across the street and looked at her watch. 7:10 p.m. Fuck. She didn't like being late. What if he had left? She arrived at the address and looked around until she spotted him. When Loki saw her, he smiled kindly and stepped towards her.

"I'm pleased to meet you, madam", he said as they shook hands.

"Me too, sir", replied Y/N.

She walked to the door of the house and rang the bell. Loki followed her.

"You said it's furnished, right?" asked Loki.

"Yes".

"Good. Because I don't even have a piece of furniture".

The door opened and an old lady welcomed them into the flat.

~-~-~

The flat was seen, the paperwork was signed and Loki's and Y/N's stuff was arranged in the rooms. Loki took the smaller bedroom, as he said that "a lady needs space". After everything was ready, habitation was the next step.

The first week was not that great. The fact they actually were strangers wasn't exactly helpful, and that sense of awkwardness didn't mean to leave any of them. Loki mostly stayed in his bedroom when he wasn't at the Avengers compound. Until he decided to change that. That evening, when he came back home, instead of locking himself in his chamber, he sat on the sofa, reading his book, hoping that he could take his almost impersonal relationship with Y/N to a higher level, maybe even converting it into friendship.

The sound of the front door opening was heard. Loki smiled and sat up, without taking his eyes from the book.

"Good evening. There's food in the kitchen. Nice blouse, by the way, green suits you a lot", said Loki when Y/N entered the living room, and then glanced at her.

The woman flinched slightly, but then she looked down at him and smiled awkwardly.

"Good evening. And, err... thanks", she murmured then and walked to the kitchen.

Loki's smile became wider. Then, that question that tormented him since Bucky told him about Y/N came to his mind again.

"Can I ask you something?" said he, letting his book on the sofa and standing up.

"Yes, say it".

Loki walked towards the kitchen, stood in the doorway leaning his shoulder against the door's casing and folded his arms across his chest.

"Why did you accept living with me?" he asked, "You know damn well who I am and what I've done and-"

"Everyone deserves a second chance", Y/N cut him short, turning her face towards him, "Plus, you were not yourself back then and we both know that".

"You don't understand. I was killing people and smiled while doing that, let alone my 'achievements' when I was on Asgard!"

"Loki, you've changed!"