He Was Just Too Late

" So um, Mia I was just wondering, Anthony stuttered nervously as we both stared at our menus, " Maya's father...is...he...around?"

I almost dropped my menu, but regained my composure quickly. "No. I told Anthony about Maya and Dylan- he didn't want anything to do with me or my daughter." I quietly answered. My ex-boyfriend Dylan is the one person I wish I never met. I hate talking about him. I hate how he just left me, and Maya. He decide to go to Dillard, get his law degree, and became a lawyer.

Last I heard he was in Florida, but who knows where he is now.That was 8 months ago. I ordered for both Anthony and me, leaving us together without our menus to hide behind...weird. Soon our food arrived and I barley touching it. Just the thought of that jerk makes me want to cut off his baby maker and make sure he can never reproduced again. "Mia you okay, I was pulled out of my thoughts by Anthony's husky sexy voice and his kind smile. I'm fine, I responded smiling back, but of course that didn't satisfy him. 

 "I'm really sorry about asking about him. I didn't mean anything by it, its just that I wasn't sure if saying something to Maya about her dad would be a good idea or not."

It wouldn't be a good idea. Maya doesn't know about her dad. Dylan had the chance to be around Maya but he decided to give that up." All he wanted was to go to law school and not give up anything, so he did. I said, with more and more anger raging within me. Must Anthony know every single detail about this? It's not like I cheat on him with anyone especially not Dylan. Never.

Anthony stared at me with playful eyes, trying to soften my mood, and I try to oblige. "It's just a touchy subject" I mention and Anthony nodded in agreement. "Ok, how was your day at work ? Anything exciting happen ? He asked changing the subject, and I literally smiled in gratitude.

"Nope, were getting a new co-worker soon, but that's about it. They should come in the next two weeks. Oh I nearly forgot, Maya wanted me to ask you if you could read her a bedtime story before she goes to bed tonight. I smiled as Anthony's smile brightens. "Of course I love that little girl. What time is her dance recital on Fridayld her I'd come, and I don't want to be late." He smirked and I narrowed my joking glare at him.

Shrugging like I didn't care I spoke, "Well, it starts at 10:00 but I don't think you should go, I smirked. "Too bad love," Anthony spoke with an equal joking tone, but a seriousness in his eye," I told Maya I'd be there, and I don't break my promises. Anthony is such a great guy and he is such a great father-figure for Maya.

It's also nice having a man around, and being able to have on two incomes. "Thanks, for being so good to Maya. She really likes you.

Some of my friends, their husbands tell their daughers their going to be there but never show. One of Maya's friends always looks for her dad in the audience and her mother just begins to burst into tears every time. That man hasn't shown to one recital or rehearsal. It's cruel, how can you do that to your own flesh and blood.

I went on as Anthony just listens, like its just a normal regular conversation. I mean,I must sound annoying. " I would never do that" Anthony adds in once I finished talking, and I couldn't help a small tear escape my eye. He's definitely a keeper.