10: The Shadow Realm

Start from the beginning

Joey flickered onto the field wearing the armor of the Flame Swordsman, expressing the same confusion as Tristan. "Hey... what gives? Hey Yugi..." The blonde turned around to see Kira and Yami staring down at his mini figure and he let out a shout. "What the? You're both giant! Oh man, I've finally cracked..."

Yami leaned forward. "Joey, listen to me. Your soul has been sealed inside your favorite card. You've become the Flame Swordsman!"

"I'm the WHO?"

"If we don't win this duel, we can't restore you to normal, but if you're defeated in this battle, you'll be carried off to the Card Graveyard just like Tristan was!" Kira told him urgently.

Joey's eyes got wider, if possible. "Graveyard*?"

"In order for me to win this duel, restore you all back to your bodies, and get us out of the Shadow Realm, I'm going to need your help," Yami explained.

"You want my help, you got my help!" Joey said, regaining his composure.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Kira asked him.

The boy nodded firmly. "Okay? I figure I lost my mind, but I'm gonna go with it. Now, who wants a beatin', huh?" He turned again to see Bakura. "Giant Bakura? Now I know I'm nuts! I'm like six inches tall, wearin' a dress, about to fight my giant friend?"

"That's not really Bakura." Yami glared at his opponent. "An evil spirit from his Millennium Ring has taken him over."

"I have no idea what you're talkin' about, so here goes nothin'!" Joey suddenly ran forward towards the other monster, waving his sword. "Say goodbye to the cat in the hat!" He swiped the sword and Bakura's monster faded away.

BAKURA 1200, YUGI 2000

"Whoa, man!" Joey gasped. "I did it, Yugi! Now what?"

"Now it's his turn." The boy's voice was laced in anxiety as he replied.

"Your little Swordsman got lucky last time, Yugi, but not this time!" Bakura put a card face down in defense.

"Uh? Why'd he play that facedown?" Yami wondered out loud.

"Cause he's afraid of what Joey the Swordsman'll do to it!" Joey gloated.

"Hang on, Joey, it could be a trap!" Kira warned but the boy wasn't listening.

"I'm goin' in."

"WAIT!" Yami shouted but Joey was already charging ahead.

The blonde attacked Bakura's card, triggering the Morphing Jar to snap into play.

"What a dolt." Bakura rolled his eyes.

Yami seemed relieved. "It was a Morphing Jar!"

"Huh? A Morphin' Jar? Did I screw up?" Joey asked, looking at them puzzled.

Kira shook her head. "When a Morphing Jar is attacked, all cards in both players' hands go to the graveyard."

"We're just really lucky I didn't have Téa's soul card in my hand right now," Yami told him, letting out a sigh.

Joey frowned. "Whoa. Sorry, Yuge!"

Kira watched as Yami put all his cards in the graveyard and drew a new hand.

'The Dark Magician! He's my favorite card!' Yami exclaimed. 'But is it also my soul card? What happens when I play it?'

"With a new hand comes a whole new perspective," Bakura said as he put a card face down. "The game ever-shifting. New dangers surround every turn."