Darkness

Sometimes when you ignore the existence of your own feelings, your own problems, it will come at you with such force that it leaves you breathless in a dark hole. A hole you have been digging for all your life.

There are days when you finally find a hand reaching down for you, a hand of light, of life. That's when the darkness are twisting your heart in its palm, twisting it inside of you. It tells you;

"No, you don't want that, you don't deserve it." You struggle to find that light again, but it's gone.

You only remember a faint memory of the world above you, the happy place where you once lived.

You keep walking in the darkness, looking for that light and eventually you find a rope, a rope that will take you up there. You grab it, so sure that you will be free from the darkness. It keep twisting your heart, scratching you on the inside, but you just keep climbing despite it. You keep going up, he light is so close now, and you can almost touch it. You reach your hand above your head, almost touching the light; you only need to climb a little bit further and that's when the rope breaks and you can hear the darkness laughing loudly in your ears as you fall helplessly down to the bottom again.

The pain is a reminder of your struggle, your muscles ache after the climb and now you just lay there at the bottom, looking at the faint light above you until it's gone. No energy left to try again, the fire inside of you extinguished, only smoke is left behind, reminding you of the hope that was once there.

Written by Lady Martian