Hala: Day Thirty-Nine

Vers finally found a cadence to her life. She would wake up when the sun rose, knock on Yon-Rogg's door, head to training with Yon-Rogg before she went on a mission or group training. That was the cadence of her mornings. Then she would have lunch or head into town to receive her afternoon mission. Some days Yon-Rogg would go with her or, if he couldn't attend, send her and Att-Lass to the great Hall of Records so that she could be reminded of the history of their people. 

Her twenty-ninth day on Hala was a day where she was allowed to go study. Yon-Rogg had agreed to take her to the Hall of Records so that she could be reminded of their heritage. They boarded the train together. "So what's the history lesson today, Yon?" asked Vers with raised eyebrows.

"Yon is an extremely intimate way to refer to me, Vers," spoke Yon-Rogg in a stern tone trying to remind them that they were in public. Jokes were fine with him one on one but if the other passengers overheard that statement they would probably assume that they were a couple. It was something that Yon-Rogg wasn't sure he wanted strangers perceiving them in that light. 

"Maybe it was on purpose..." she smirked.

This afternoon light suited her well, he thought, finding himself staring at how the light made her hair turn even a lovelier shade of gold that he had never seen before. "Control it...." he as he diverted his gaze to the moving skyscrapers that they were passing. Not even thirty seconds later, he turned his gaze back to her. He saw her patient smile and wondered what she was thinking. "Disarming the enemy with charm are we, Vers?" He chuckled. "Interesting tactic."

Eyebrows raised. "Did it work?" 

He paused and was about to answer her when the doors opened. "We're here."

"But Yon, did it work?" she asked, following him. 

He noted how she kept asking the same question over and over again. "I will not give you the satisfaction of an answer."

"So its a yes?"

"Hardly a yes or a no, Vers."

She groaned as she caught up to him finally to walk next to him. "You're storming off."

"Storming?"

She nodded. "Yes, storming. You're walking very quickly. Are you nervous?"

"Hardly."

"I think I may make you nervous," she teased.

Yon-Rogg didn't know what to make of all of this teasing. He was enjoying it but couldn't show that he was finding this amusing. "Or annoyed.... Who knows?"

"I know. I know you very well..." she said. This caused Yon-Rogg to pause. They had barely known each other for little over a month. How could she...? He let his guard down. "Aha! Gotcha there."

"Ha.. Ha.. Very funny, Vers, but you know that wouldn't work on the battlefield, right?" It was her time to pause. "You've got to think with your head." He gently touched her forehead with his index finger. "Not your... heart. Emotions make you weak."

"That's not what Att-Lass said."

Yon-Rogg arched his right eyebrow as they reached their destination. He took a few steps in front of her to get the door. "Oh so Att-Lass is an expert?"asked he as he held open the door.

"He's in love."

"Really? With whom?" 

"I cannot tell you. If I told you, I would betray his trust. He said the Kree are some of the most passionate beings in the entire universe. Don't forget your nature, Yon," spoke Vers as she turned around to find Yon-Rogg still holding the door open. "Come on! Time to learn about the war, isn't it?"

"Right..." he nodded, remembering where they were. "Perhaps I ought to make you take an examination to see if you are remembering the history of our people or day-dreaming about Att-Lass."

"I'm not in love with Att-Lass."

Yon-Rogg chuckled. "Suuuuuuure," he spoke, mimicking how she would have teasingly spoken to him about being in love with someone, as he led her up the staircase. He was secretly glad that she wasn't in love with Att-Lass. That could have gotten messy.

"You're mimicking me!"

"Two can play this game, Vers," he responded to which she tapped his chest. 

"So you do have a heart."

He laughed. "Don't get ahead of yourself. It's not a heart. Just a sense of humor," he said, waiting a moment to gently brush her hand away from him. "Test it is. Come on now."