2.47 Dreams of The Pasts (1)

Start from the beginning

She followed. The young man was initially amused, but upon seeing that she persisted in flanking him, he soon tried to scare her away with his blade. Nevertheless, she did not feel the slightest fear. She knew the human would not hurt her. Just like her most basic instinct to eat or drink, or even feel danger, she knew this human was a safe house.

Therefore, she kept walking behind the human. Even when she was tired and needed rest, the human did not have the heart in him to leave her alone.

He finally gathered her in his arms,

"I have picked up a troublesome little thing," he chuckled, "So be it, little one. You can come and live with me, just be aware that you won't be impressed with the barrack. We are all brute men, not good companions for a beautiful little thing like yourself."

He was the youngest son of the West Wing General. Acclaimed in wits and intelligence, he was the military strategist despite his young age. It was pure chance that he was in that forest, scouting with a few of his guards to ensure there was no enemy soldier remaining. When he returned to his tent, his oldest brother – the vice general, and his father laughed at him to have brought back a pet.

The war was over and they returned to town, bringing her along. The little fawn was surprisingly intelligent for an animal. However, she was always partial to the young man. Although she had become some sort of a mascot for the military and was spoiled by everyone, she would not let anyone else to stroke her fur. She grew to be healthy and beautiful, her doe eyes would always manage to get her what she wanted. After all, with all the care she had received, she had grown to be a beautiful deer. A flutter of her eyelashes would lift the spirits of everyone that interacted with her.

"If only you were a human... . I would gladly exchange my fiancée for you." The men in the military would jest.

Her young man would only gently smile, caressing her fur softly. She licked his hand, burying her head deeper into his bosom. He was the most comforting existence for her, her anchor, her shelter. By this time, he had grown to be a dashing handsome Vice-General, while his oldest brother took over the General position to replace their father.

Festivities soon took over the residence. The female deer saw that almost every corner of the house was decorated in red. Even the servants dressed her in red fitted cloak tailored to her frame and four legs. On the top of her head, they put a wreath made of white flowers.

Her human walked out of the room he had been holed up in since the early morning. He was dressed in red, wearing a jade crown on top of his head. His hair was combed and pinned meticulously. He smiled towards the servants and family members that were congratulating him for his marriage that day.

As an animal with simple instinct, the deer still did not have much comprehension ability. However that day, for her, he was the most exquisite thing she had ever laid her eyes upon. She looked up at him in astonishment, her doe eyes were lustrous. He knelt and touched the flower wreath on her head,

"Beautiful jade orchids. My favourite flowers. They suit you well."

She nudged him with her snout, demanding for his usual caresses. He chuckled and gathered her into his arms,

"You are beautiful. Now I begin to understand what the men have been saying. If only you were human... ."

But she was not a human.

He ended up marrying another human, a beautiful young maiden. On that day, the bride wore an exquisite red robe embroidered with white magnolias. He smiled all day, with the woman's hands on his palm as he showed his new bride to all the guests. But he kept glancing at the deer wearing the white flower wreath.