2.43 Qing Lian and Zuo JinLong

Start from the beginning

"Why the struggle, DaShixiong?" A gentle melodious voice was heard. Despite it being soft toned, everyone in the vicinity could hear her. A female garbed in luxurious red garb was sitting on top of a roof of a taller building that was still standing amongst the rubble. Ao Xiang barely gave the female a glance, indifference in his eyes despite the familiar face he just saw. He had felt numb towards the woman, despite the initial shock and his past attempts to remind her who she was.

Turns out, he had never really known her.

Qing Lian laughed, "Shixiong, you have hurt me so. Did you not used to dote on me?"

Upon Ao Xiang's silence and witnessing yet another eunuch-turned-Daemon slayed by Xiao Zi, Qing Lian snorted in disgust,

"Of course, men... . So easy for them to find a replacement." She stretched her right hand. Soon, a figure dressed regally in purple and gold landed by her side, pulling her hand and embracing her into the folds of his robe. Sighing in content, Qing Lian continued to speak,

"Unlike this blessing, who has now bound this man to me. Loyalty at its finest."

Zuo JinLong smiled at her, lovingly caressing her jet black hair. He whispered a name into her ears, that could not be heard by anyone else except her. Qing Lian's smile froze for a split second, before resting her head on his chest,

"Of course, JinLong. I will never leave you again. Ying'er is here to stay with you always... ."

Zuo JinLong released his hold on Qing Lian abruptly, soon parrying blows with Cao Lu and Zuo BingTan, who managed to sneak on top of the roof. Qing Lian chuckled, observing the speed of the Emperor, who soon easily gained the upper hand. Perhaps, Cao Lu and Zuo BingTan were holding themselves back, considering they were facing their own father. But no such favor came from Zuo JinLong himself.

"Father, you have gone mad! That witch is not Mother!" Cao Lu shouted as Zuo JinLong's blade came too close for comfort from grazing Zuo BingTan's chest. However, Zuo JinLong's expression was frosty and devoid of any emotion.

The man she called father immediately pushed his left leg on her swung blade, spiraling his body backwards. Cao Lu had put herself between Zuo JinLong and Zuo BingTan, trying to put a distance between them. They had been trying to get close to Qing Lian. If they disposed of her, they thought surely, the Emperor would gain a semblance of his sanity.

For Cao Lu, although Zuo JinLong was not a good Father, or a good husband to her Mother, he was at least a good ruler to his subjects. Despite his tyranny growing worse every since the Empress' passing, the citizens had lived relatively well, and the officials also did not have any courage for corruption. His tyranny contributed to peace. However, at the moment, he was merely a madman clothed in Emperor's garb, who paid no attention to anyone except the woman that he kept protecting - a woman that Cao Lu refused to admit to have any similarity to her late Mother.

Zuo JinLong did not fight with his usual sword, as with any other Daemons, he was incapable of wielding a sword that was imbued with his qi. However, unlike other Daemons that kept attacking without intelligence, he retained not only his martial-arts skill, but also his rationality in battle. With a flick of his waist, he changed his initial jumping path, and nimbly reached out his arm.

Soon, his claws reached Cao Lu's neck.

"Jie!!" Zuo BingTan's eyes widened in horror.

Qing Lian spectated from a distance, a wide smile gracing her beautiful face,

"I've told you many times before, children... . You should have joined me, be liberated... ." She sighed, "I really do not wish for blood family to fight against each other... ."