After the ordeal, Lady Mei Gui had become a temporary leader for the town and had set up a barrack to look after the Daemons who had been purified. They were very much humans now, but as always, had lost all their cultivation base and past memories, leaving them as nothing but empty husks. Perhaps, one day they could return to normal, but as of the moment, all of them had to be taken care of by others.
A lot of the ex-Daemons had loved ones who had been protected by Lady Mai Gui, so the remaining people took it upon themselves to look after their families and friends.

Lady Mei Gui, having known Zuo Shan'er ever since the latter was but a toddler, decided to care for her as well.

Looking at Zuo Shan'er, drool involuntarily escaped from the corner of her lips, Cao Lu shuddered. Her two brothers had almost become like her too, a useless vegetable. Although Zuo Shan'er might be pitiful, Cao Lu refused to sympathize with such a person.

"Besides, our Ping sect is clearly the loser here," Cao Lu mused bitterly, "We lost our pure yin maiden."

Xiao Zi nodded, "YuLan practically disappeared one night. None of us could even sense her going. She... is truly now a Sage, isn't she?" There was a trace of wistfulness and admiration in her voice, "But Lei is now like that... . How could we even admonish her for having left just like that?"

"If... if something were to happen to Mother, or to Ao Xiang-shiong, I probably would have done the same."

Cao Lu stared at her Shimei with conflicted expression. A matter of the heart, one probably less severe than the others. After all, Xiao Zi and Ao Xiang were more likely to have blessing from both sects, than Ji YuLan and Zuo ZhouLei would.

Besides, although Cao Lu was supposed to be impartial, but there was truth in Xiao Zi's words. If the same thing were to happen to her two brothers, she would also give up on the world.

"Never mind!" Cao Lu slapped her Shimei's shoulder lightly, "Now that I re-think it, it's actually Wu Shan sect that is the most pitiful. Not only did our Yin maiden end up kidnapping their prodigy, their senior disciple also disappeared as well!"

Xiao Zi chuckled in response. Although their current predicament and uncertain future was hardly anything humorous, she had to find the littlest liveliness in her current life,

"Ah... perhaps the three of them are together now, just trying to make ZhouLei better?"

It was a wishful thinking, but they both hoped it was true.

"Sage Zhu Hong is not too impressed though." Cao Lu winced at the frosty face she suddenly remembered.

"Yes, why is she always so fixated about what Ah-Lan does? I think ZhouLei is an excellent man, he's only a few years younger." Xiao Zi added softly, "And I owe him my Mother's life... . All our lives, actually. It could be said that he became like that, to save us."

The prodigy of Wu Shan sect, a Royal Prince born by the late Lady Shuan Bing. He was one that was supposed to have boundless future; had managed to become an Enlightened in his teens; was able to sustain five spirit beasts summoned by a beast-master at the same time; was the liberator of Lingdi as he controlled a Fire Phoenix as tall as a mountain with qi as pure as the Dao.

Such a person had become a waste; a dragon that used to roam the sky must now be living on ground. He was even unable to fly on sword anymore.

-------------