Part Two

Have you ever really thought about death? About the reality of it. One day you're going to school, struggling to meet a deadline, then you, well, you don't exist. To others you're no longer around, but for you? In your mind you're just, nothing. All the memories you've made are gone, even your favorites. Like the time Marissa dragged me to the district soccer game.

The student section roared with excitement after number eighteen scored another goal. The crowd started to cheer 'Go Warriors Go!' followed by clapping. We repeated the cheer, with every chant our volume grew louder until it thundered across the field.

"GO WARRIORS GO!" The school screamed, signaling the end of the chant. "Thank you for making me come Marissa, I'm having so much fun!" I managed to shout over the symphony of noise that had exploded around us. Right there, in that moment, I felt as if I was truly living. It was a feeling I never wanted to forget.

"Of course! Everyone has to experience a high school game at some point in their life." She replied, flashing a large grin at me before returning her attention to the soccer match.

What if there is an afterlife? Do we have to wait, would we know we were waiting? Maybe, we die, and wait through an unknown eternity then we end in a town of clouds. Or maybe it's more like a tropical paradise. But if there isn't? Do our spirits walk in darkness? Do we remain trapped, surrounded by the bustle of our loved ones? I've had an experience like that, I was helping my mom.

    A clatter of metal filled the silence.

"Angie! Will you come help me in the kitchen?" I heard my mom shout.

    "Fine," I sighed as I got up from the couch and made my way into the kitchen. I walked in to see her putting away dishes "Okay, I'm here. What do you need?"

    "Great. Can you cut the carrots?"

"Sure."

I grabbed a cutting board and a knife and set them on the kitchen counter. I grabbed three carrots from the bag next to me and started chopping.

"Like this?" I asked mom gesturing to the orange chunks.

"Perfect,"

I continued cutting the carrots until I had finished with the first two. My vision blurred as my head started pounding, I stepped back from the counter and grabbed at my head hoping it would ease the pain.

"Angie?" Mom turned her head just as mine hit the hardwood floor. "Angie!" Colored spots slowly took over my vision until I had lost it entirely.

You're always thinking, even if you don't know it. You're always seeing something, even if it's darkness. There is always something to be heard, perhaps silence. What would it be like without all of that? Can you imagine?

How could I survive without hearing my brother's giggle from the other room? What would I do if I couldn't celebrate minor things with my family? The last time any of that happened was my seventeenth birthday.

"Close your eyes Angie," My father said as he guided my unsure steps through the house.

I felt the hardwood under my bare feet as we entered the kitchen. The situation reminded me of a childhood game and I had to muffle a giggle behind my hands. The floor beneath me transitioned from the hardwood of the kitchen to the soft carpet of the living room. "Okay sit down." I heard him say from behind. Despite my lack of sight, I felt him smile through his words. I dropped onto the couch and opened my eyes.

A frosted blue cake sat centered on the coffee table, crowned with a rainbow of iced flowers. The cake sparkled through the seventeen candles that had been spread over the top. A small gasp left my lips. I looked around to see my mom on the armchair with a beautiful smile on her face as she held Marissa's hand. My brother Adam held up a banner that read 'Happy 17th Angie!' in large bold letters.

My hands met my face and my eyes began to water. "You guys! This is so sweet." I whispered in appreciation as I fanned around my face in an attempt to prevent myself from crying.

"Oh Ang, if you cry then I'm gonna cry." My mom wiped at her eyes. Despite the tearful scene, I could see the smile lines surrounding her eyes and mouth were more prominent than they had been in months.

"Don't you start too. I'm barely containing myself here!" Marissa joined.

"Why does this happen so often?" Adam questioned Dad, gesturing at all of us in confusion.

"It's a girl thing." He answered with a shrug, but even I could tell that he was a little tearful too.