There was a drawing—one that was very well made, but seemed to be rushed—of a butterfly. But not just any butterfly. This butterfly seemed to be clinging on to life, because one of its wings were bent and broken; almost like something just ripped a chunk off of the delicate creature. The image of something so symbolically beautiful being horrifically mangled and twisted made Jaehyun feel sick. The feeling of anxiety only increased in Jaehyun's body, and he quickly grew quite upset. He analyzed the picture only to find scrawny handwriting written in the corner with no signature.

At least it doesn't hurt when it's invisible.

-

Jaehyun woke up, feeling as if there was a huge weight on his body. He didn't realize he was breathing rapidly until he glanced down to his sweaty palms and rising chest underneath his blanket.

It was just a nightmare.

He sighed, muttering, "god damnit," before ripping the hot blankets off of his heated body. He fetched his phone that was on his bedside table, airing out his shirt that glued to his skin while he was at it.

3:19 AM.

There was a loud knock on Jaehyun's door, and his hands instantly grew weak as he was startled and dropped his phone to the ground. He held his breath and slowly reached for the small device, and once his fingers laced around the thin case he swiped up and put the flash on the camera, pointing it at the door.

There was silence on the other side.

A heavy curtain of fear draped over the high schooler—the type of fear you would have as a small child who was scared of monsters creeping underneath their bed or hiding inside their closet. He didn't like it; it was extraordinarily strange. His phone suddenly beeped in his hands, startling Jaehyun once more.

DoyoungKim1
btw here's Taeyongs insta - lee_taeyong

The noise seemed to also alert whoever—or whatever—was in the hallway.

Jaehyun's eyes narrowed at his fixed door, ears open and listening tentatively for any other motion. It was a stagnant, dead silence before he heard another light knock on the oak wood. The teenage boy wasn't sure if he was supposed to answer, stay quiet, or go and open the door, but he certainly didn't have much time to ponder before his door swung open and he heard a glass bottle being thrown against a hard surface outside—it didn't sound like it quite shattered, but more so hit the wall loudly and cracked.

Jaehyun scrambled up from his position, face seemingly concerned and maybe even angry, although inside he was scared as hell. He watched as a dark shadow of a man arose from the hallway and directly in front of the entrance of Jaehyun's room, his hand tightly grasped on a shorter boy's arm. As he came closer, Jaehyun could make out the sharp edge of this man's jawline and cheekbones, as well as his coal, burning eyes—it was Hajoon; his stepfather.

"If you're so fucking scared of me than go cry to your big brother instead of ignoring the son of a bitch and acting like a stubborn fucking brat!" Hajoon's booming voice spat, and he harshly threw Donghyuk into Jaehyun's room, aggressively slamming the door afterwards.

Jaehyun's eyes had to of been comically wide, a deep resentment and anger being built in his chest. He looked to Donghyuk, who looked to be physically okay, but was silently crying. Jaehyun rushed out of his bed and crouched down besides his younger stepbrother, putting a comforting hand on his knee—the boy was quick to shake it off and turn away. Even though he was distant, Donghyuk mumbled into his sweatshirt, loudly enough so Jaehyun could hear his words.

"It's like a fucking game of Jenga with that man; it's only gonna be a matter of time before the whole thing collapses," Donghyuk stated, his voice empty. The older's heart raced at his words.