Chapter 14 - Hunted

Začít od začátku

His eyes were stuck on mine and we stared at each other for the whole ride. Our eyes didn't leave each other's until the ding from the elevator came and the doors opened. Rick put his arm around me again and he helped me get inside his loft. When we got inside I heard small feet running down the stairs.

"Kate!" the little redhead shouted and she ran towards me.

I was surprised once again how easy Alexis had accepted me and it was just in time I managed to crouch and open up my arms before she crashed into my chest. I lifted her up so I didn't have to crouch anymore and my foot hurt but I didn't care. I felt Rick's gaze upon me and I looked at him. He had awe in his eyes and I blushed.

"How's your foot? Daddy told me you hurt yourself" Alexis asked and she pulled away enough to watch my face.

"It's good, daddy's friend fixed it" I said and grimaced when I happened to put too much weight on it.

"Pumpkin, maybe you should let Kate rest. I think she needs to either lay down in bed or sit in the couch" Rick said and Alexis reached out her arms towards him.

He took her from my arms. Alexis whispered something in his ear and the two of them smiled towards me.

"What?" I asked confused.

They looked at each other again.

"Should we tell her?" Rick asked Alexis and Alexis shook her little head.

"Hey! Tell me what?" I asked a bit offended.

"Nothing" Alexis answered with a sweet smile on her lips.

Rick whispered something in Alexis ear and even though I really tried to hear I couldn't make out what he was saying. The little girl nodded and she had excitement written all over her face. Rick put Alexis down and he turned towards me. Alexis ran off to the kitchen and she called out for her gram to come down. Martha was quickly downstairs and she went to her granddaughter. Rick placed his arms around my waist and started to pull me against the stairs.

"What's going on?" I asked once we where upstairs.

"Wait and see" he said with a smirk and I narrowed my eyes.

He led me towards the guest room I had been sleeping in and I stopped in the door hole. Last time I had been in there I had kissed him. Last time I was in there I had been having a dream about him, and wished for it to be real.

"What?" Rick asked once he saw my cheeks getting the red color that now seemed to be a usual color upon my cheeks.

I couldn't look at him. I felt my cheeks get even hotter.

"You know, we have to go in there, or else Alexis will come and yell at me for letting you peek" he said and I looked at him.

I shook my head to collect my thoughts and walked inside the room. Rick held a steady arm around me, and he helped me towards the bed. I sat down and looked up at him. He met my gaze and I drowned in his blue eyes. I took his hand and pulled him down to sit beside me.

"You know, I haven't had anyone care for me in a long time. I don't quite remember what it feels like, but I do know that if you continue hanging around me, it will end badly and" I paused "and I really don't want anything to happen to you. Or Alexis, or Martha" I added.

"Kate, I care about you. There's no way I'm going away" Rick said and looked into my eyes.

My eyes started to get watery and when a tear slipped my eye he caught it and wiped it away. I looked down and he put a gentle hand on my chin, making me look up at him.

"Tell me" he pleaded.

I shook my head. He bent down and I widened my eyes. His lips touched mine and I couldn't help but kiss him back. An electricity of some kind shot through my spine, making me shiver. He pulled away but left our foreheads touching.

"I can't help you unless you tell me" he said with sorrow in his voice.

"Rick... I..." I sighed and he pecked my lips.

"I'm not going to leave you even if you want me to so you should just tell me so we can catch the guy before anything happens to you" he could see in my eyes that I didn't care what happened to me so he sighed and added "before anything happens to me, Alexis or my mother".

I felt guilt and my tears started to run over. I licked my lips and bit my lower one. I was thinking, thoughts running around like startled chickens. I didn't know wether to tell him or not. What would be the better option? Maybe if I didn't tell him he would leave, get tired of waiting for me to reveal it to him. He did make me feel safe though, and that was what made me doubt not telling him. All he wanted was to save me, the big questions was... would I let him do that or drown in my own life?