Proud

Una's question was answered rather sooner than she had expected, because the next door she opened led into a large room filled with weaponry, in which soldiers were milling around aimlessly. She froze on the doorstep—she had no skills in sneaking, and the last thing she wanted to do was kill a room full of innocent Fereldan soldiers. She would need them later against the Archdemon, among other reasons.

Fortunately, she could see familiar shadows moving along the walls, and soldiers dropping. They would have headaches later, but no permanent damage. At last, Leliana stood in front of her. "Come on. Someone is very impatient to see you."

"You didn't bring Alistair, did you? This was all so easy, I think Cauthrien and Anora set it up to trap the Grey Wardens."

"Yes, we think so, too. But that's not who I meant."

In the deserted antechamber, a very large, happy mabari waited, standing up on his hind legs to reach as close to her face as he could, licking her happily. "Gren! I'm sorry I left you behind, boy. Won't happen again."

He yipped, looking satisfied.

"We have left Alistair looking after Anora. No doubt he will appreciate being let off the hook." Zev grinned.

"You're probably right." Una looked back on Fort Drakon with revulsion. While she was leaving largely unscathed, there was no question in her mind what could have happened there. She had a score to settle with Anora, she promised herself.

Arl Eamon met her in the hallway. "My dear Warden," he said, "I am so glad to see you well. We were tremendously concerned." He looked nervously over his shoulder. "The queen is still here. I have left Alistair with her, and he seems to be holding his own."

"Does he?" Leliana smiled. "I thought he might."

"Well, good." Una was relieved that he had done the sensible thing and stayed behind with Anora. Maybe some good could come out of all of this. "Where are they?"

"You will find them down the hall in the library."

Una nodded, heading that direction. As she came closer, she could hear the sounds of a lively conversation, and of their own volition her feet slowed.

"So you would not build the university in Denerim? But isn't that where most visitors would feel most comfortable?"

"Possibly, but it depends on what you want a university for. Is it just to attract nobles from other countries, or do we want to educate our own people? I'd try for the second, and so would put it in the Bannorn, where it's more centrally located."

Anora seemed to be considering this. "That's a fair point," she said, "but if it's going to pay for itself, it really needs to be in our capitol city and draw on those nobles. Perhaps a branch elsewhere?"

Una came around the corner and found them both bent over a map, their heads very close together. Anora was still wearing the guard's uniform, but it was clean and proper, her hair done neatly. Meanwhile, Una's armor was covered in the detritus of battle, her hair filthy, and she was bleeding from at least two untreated cuts.

Alistair looked up and saw her, his face lighting immediately with happiness, which made Una feel a little better; then his look changed to concern as he looked her over, which no longer helped. "You're back! Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." She looked at Anora. "I see you made it here safely, Your Majesty. I'm so glad." There was an edge to her tone that didn't read as "glad" at all, but Una considered it restrained that she wasn't punching the traitorous queen in the face.