Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Saps, the lot of you," Draco grumbles as he digs further into the tome.

"You're part of something greater than before," Luna chimes in, her eyes wandering around the people seated before her. "Whatever you thought was extraordinary, being in a Veela colony is incomparable. The amount of connectivity and emotions running through the link is what brings us together, and it affects us all, Harry and Draco more than anything. Our lives quite literally rest in their hands, you know."

"I'm not doubting that," Ron says quickly, shaking his head. "I've already accepted the fact that we're all part of this...pack. And it's great. I love family. I'm a family-oriented person. I love being around people and having friends around and talking everyone's ear off. I'm just adjusting to the fact that Malfoy's been our bully since before we even knew about the war, and now we all have this unspoken, comfortable rule that he must be protected at all costs, and no one has questioned it."

Ron notices how Draco hasn't said a word against him, hasn't denied anything, keeping to himself while he listens.

"I don't blame you," he tells him softly, waiting for Draco's gaze to meet his before he continues. "I'm over it. I know why you did it. And maybe it wasn't okay at the time, but it's okay now. I've grown up. I forgive you. We all do. You're part of us as much as we are part of you. And I couldn't be prouder of being part of your colony. Of being your Honor. I'm honored to be your Honor."

A smile breaks past Draco's lips and he unsuccessfully hides it, rolls his eyes.

"And I know you would never admit it, but I know you trust me enough with Blaise's life. Even though Harry would go through hell and back to keep him alive, I would, too. So, I'm thankful for you entrusting me with that."

"Alright, alright," Draco snaps, clearly feeling very put-out. His shoulders are drawn to his ears and his forehead is creased at the middle. "That is enough with you."

He expects Ron to blow but he only gets a fond eye roll in response, tries to ignore the way it makes him feel at peace that Ron isn't mad at him for being snarky. "Don't worry, I'm done showing your true nature, mum."

Hermione sniggers behind her hand and Draco turns his glare to her. She stands immediately, snapping her book shut. "I'm going up. I think it's time I turned in."

"Yeah, I'm going, too. I left my trunk open, and I doubt the Nargles didn't find my jewelry box. They get quite handsy with shiny objects, you know. A lot like the Niffler, those. Well, goodnight."

Draco watches as the girls walked off, shaking his head as he turned back to his book. Ron chuckles. "Always the oddity, our Luna."

"It suits her," the Slytherin grins lopsidedly. "Only she can pull it off."

"Too right," Ron nods, tapping the end of his quill against the edge of the table, slouching in his seat. He watches Draco leaf through the pages, fingers deftly running down the old scribbles on the parchment.

He's been thinking about something for a while, something that's been nagging his brain and his heart. And it bothers him that Draco knows more about it than he does, with the way he carries himself, he can see it.

The blond's spine is ramrod straight, albeit his posture remains relaxed. He radiates confidence, like he knows he's being admired all the time with the way his hair softly falls from it's gelled position.

Ron inhales. "Hey, Malfoy..."

There's a spare moment of silence where Draco waits for Ron to continue, but when he doesn't talk, the blond looks up to find his friend looking at him intently.