24. Narissa Barbossa

Start from the beginning

Then, Narissa's eyes settled again on Jack and met his. He had just noticed that she was there, in the crowd, and sent her a brief smile, trying to tell her that everything would be fine. She smiled back.

An official that was standing on the gallows read loudly from a parchment "Jack Sparrow, be it known that you have been charged, tried and convicted..."

As the man talked, Narissa saw the pirate rolling his eyes in annoyance and she could read his lips murmuring "Captain... Captain Jack Sparrow." She restrained a laugh. The official kept reading the long list of Jack's crimes, one of those being impersonating a cleric of the Church of England. When the man mentioned this, Jack laughed, remembering that experience, until he looked at the big fat executioner who stood next to him.

Will and Narissa were growing impatient. She was hoping that whatever the young man had in mind, it would work. It was then that she heard and spotted a very familiar parrot resting on a flag pole: Cotton's parrot! That meant that the Black Pearl and the crew had to be near!

"William!" she whispered. He looked at her and she nodded her head towards the bird. His eyes widened as he saw it. "I think it's time you tell her," she urged him, knowing that this could go terribly wrong.

He nodded and headed into the crowd, decisive, walking towards the woman he loved to finally confess his feelings. There was determination in his eyes. She looked at him and smiled as he walked away. She hoped it didn't take him much time because she had no idea of what his plan was, if he had a plan.

Focusing again on the gallows, she heard the official end his speech. "May God have mercy on your soul."

The executioner put the noose around Jack's neck. Narissa's breath quickened. She looked back, anxiously searching for Will. Fortunately, he was already coming back in a hurry. She kept a hand on the handle of her sword. After Will unsheathed his sword, Elizabeth pretended to faint in order to distract the Commodore and her father. She had pieced it all together once she had spotted the parrot too.

Narissa grabbed her sword as well and yells came from the people around them. The moment the executioner pulled the lever that opened the trap door below Jack's feet, Will threw his sword in perfect direction. The blade was embeded on the wood, just below the pirate's feet. Jack balanced on it clumsily. "That's brilliant!" Narissa thought.

The two friends ran up onto the gallows, one of them on each side. Will fought the executioner, who carried a big axe, while Narissa attacked the first marines that were climbing onto the gallows. She found herself fighting three men. She kicked the first one on the chest, so he was knocked off the gallows and onto the stone floor, hitting his head and leaving him unconscious. The second one received a shot on his head and she faced the third with her beloved sword. Meanwhile, the blade under Jack's feet was starting to bend, and the noose felt tighter around his neck with every passing second.

The executioner slashed his axe at Will, knocking his sword away. When Narissa got rid of the last marine, she quickly cut the rope that was choking Jack. The pirate dropped to the ground below the gallows and used the sword that was stuck on the wood to free his wrists from the rope that tied them together. As all of this happened, Will pushed the big executioner; he fell into the crowd, on top of Norrington and the marines that followed him. The crowd dispersed.

Will and Narissa jumped down from the gallows. Jack tossed to the younger man one end of the rope, which had been wrapped around his neck before. They made several marines trip, while Narissa, who was following them, fought those who approached them from behind, since she was the only one armed.

Just when Will managed to get a sword from one of their enemies, it was already too late. The three of them were now surrounded, rifles aiming at them closely. Commmodore Norrington strode up to them, followed by the Governor and Elizabeth. He held his sword near Will's neck.

"I thought we'd have to endure some ill-conceived manner of escape attempt," he said and glanced at Narissa before continuing. "But not from you, mister Turner," he told the young man, who stood between him and Jack. He sounded threatening and Narissa's protectiveness surfaced. Using her sword, she pushed Norrington's blade away from her friend's neck, looking at the man defiantly. Some rifles moved closer to her.

The Governor said, disappointed,"On our return to Port Royal I granted clemency for both of you, and this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with him? He is a pirate!"

"And a good man," both of them stated at the same time, to which Jack smiled, proud of himself.

Will said "If all I have achieved here is that the hangman will earn two pairs of boots instead of one, so be it."

"Let that be three pairs of boots," Narissa added daringly. After hearing those words, Jack slowly reached out to grab her hand and pulled her closer to him.

"At least our conscience will be clear," Will ended. Narissa smiled, he reminded her so much of his father.

Norrington got angrier by these words. "You forget your place, Turner."

Without moving a inch, the man replied "It is right here, between you and Jack."

At that moment, Elizabeth stepped beside him and held his hand. "As is mine." Upon the Governor's order, the marines put their weapons down.

Norrington realised then that she would never feel for him what he felt. "So this is where your heart truly lies, then?" His voice was shaken, although he tried to maintain his composure.

"It is," the young woman said without hesitation.

Right then, Jack spotted Cotton's colourful parrot before it flew towards the sea. He smiled. Letting go of Narissa's hand, he started a little goodbye speech. After complimenting Will on his hat, he grabbed Narissa's arm and took her near the edge of the fort.

He leaned into her ear. "The tavern where we met. Five days." They looked into each other's eyes and she nodded, smiling. She understood. Finally, Jack stepped onto the short wall that separated the fort from the sea. Every weapon was pointed at him again. "This is the day you will always remember as the day-" He couldn't finish because he tripped backwards and fell into the sea. Narissa laughed loudly. They all looked at the man surfacing from the water and swimming away.

"Idiot! He's nowhere to go but back to the noose," captain Gillette commented.

At that moment, Narissa saw black sails above the waters in the distance. "I don't think so." A wide smile rested on her face.

"What's your plan of action?" Gillette asked the Commodore. Upon not hearing a response, he insisted. "Sir?" He didn't respond, dealing with an interior dilemma.

With a smile, Governor Swann said "Perhaps on the rare occasion when pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy, piracy itself can be the right course."

To this, Norrington nodded. "Mister Turner!" He walked to the younger man and held his sword, the one that Will had made for his ceremony. "This is a beautiful sword. I would expect the man who made it to show the same care and devotion in every aspect of his life."

Surprised, Will nodded and thanked him; they understood each other. Narissa was so happy, she couldn't hold back a little squeal of excitement. Finally, after years waiting for this, her best friends would be together.

"Miss Murphy!" the Commodore called her more angrily. She hesitantly walked to him, not knowing what to expect. "I hope I won't be seeing you again in Port Royal, for the good of all of us, including yourself." Of course he knew she would leave with Jack Sparrow as soon as she had the chance.

She smirked. "You won't, sir."

He nodded briefly. "Very well. Good luck, Miss Murphy," he ended. Narissa thought she could almost see a smile on his face.

She turned her back to them and walked away. Before she was too far, she turned around again and said, loud and proud "Oh, by the way. It's Barbossa! Narissa Barbossa!" With that being said, she headed back home, leaving the Commodore and the marines behind with shocked expressions.

~●~○~●~

Well, hello there!

The first film is over, but I'll write some chapters of things that happen before "Dead Man's Chest" first. I have a few ideas that I hope you'll like. Yay!

D.Xx