Chapter Seven: Immortal

The dominion of The Dark God, or The Lost One as he was once known by his brethren, was a dark and powerful world on the very edge of everything known. Hidden behind layers of thick shadows and complete nothingness it was the most secure location to ever exist. Not even the gods themselves could ever locate this sanctuary, and for billions of years it had gone untouched by everyone; save one insane and demented being of supreme power. Here The Dark God consolidated his power and began to set his plan for total domination into motion, his jealous eyes locked always on the shining jewel of creation, Earth.

When he and his brethren created Earth he realized very early on that their plan for a powerful race to watch over had been extremely flawed, and the humans, as they were called, were nothing more than mere shadows of what he had envisioned. He had wanted to wipe the little blue planet from existence and start over from the beginning, so he could craft something more substantial. But the three others like him didn’t agree with his assessment. They believed that something special had happened and what they had actually created was completely unique, and no matter how many times they tried to do it again they could never replicate the exact set of events that had led to this ‘humanity’ that had been instilled in their people. Free will and extreme intelligence was the defining trait of these humans they had created, and the others wanted to protect that. And protect it they did.

The Dark God was not the strongest of them, and he knew he could never defeat them in open combat. So he fled from the known universe and hid along the fringe, looking back in with pure hatred. He saw these humans as nothing more than a plague on everything they had created and he felt that they needed to be eradicated before they would destroy everything they had worked to build. His isolation drove him crazy, and he began to sow the seeds for humanities downfall. Over the course of nearly a trillion years hiding in the abyss, The Dark God created his own planet and an army of beings that he believed would replace the frail humans when the shadow of death swallowed them up. They needed a general to lead them into battle though, so he quickly turned his attention towards one of his most prized possessions; Ares.

While all four of the Gods had combined their strength and power to make the immortals, Ares was his brainchild, and it made him sick to see his greatest creation being used by his enemies. The Dark God knew his brethren were racing across the universe they had created together in search of him, so he took that time to whisper to Ares and begin to poison his mind with lies and hate. The process was slow because he did not want the immortal to become aware of who he really was, his brothers and sisters had surely told him that he was considered an enemy now. But after twenty thousand years of whispering the time was finally ready, he would unleash his fury on the mortal world and finally have what he desired so very much; the perfect race of beings.

The horns of war howled over the face of his planet, and using his considerable power The Dark God opened powerful gates that connected with Earth, ushering death incarnate on the unsuspecting planet. Everything had been going according to his plan, and even Ares was now on his side, forcing the other immortals to hide rather than fight his forces; and from his vantage point, The Dark God knew it would only be a matter of weeks before he had won. He had been a fool though, and only in the final moments did he see that he was playing right into the hand of his younger sister and her ability to see the flow of destiny and time. Of course she would have known what he had been up to, and she alone would have stayed behind to save their precious little planet.

Everything had been set in motion and there was no way to alter the outcome, he was doomed to lose this battle. But he refused to lose the war. Seconds before his portals were closed down by his sister he called Ares to his side and was already formulating a new plan of attack. His sister had used all of her remaining power to close his gates and save her humans, and as she died he could feel her life ebb away as the universe grew a little dimmer. He shed no tears for her though, and now that he knew she was out of the way for good he could already see his victory looming just over the horizon.