"Next time then." Tommy said.

"Next time?"

"Next time I go to the races." He said, "I'll go without the purpose of business. I'll go without anyone else." He cleared his throat, the smallest of blushed appeared on his cheeks, "Just you."

Gwen blushed, the smile she tried to hide made the dimple on her cheek appear, "You don't have to."

No, but I want to. "Yeah, well." He said nothing else.

"Harry said you picked up a new horse at the fair?" She asked then.

"I had." He said.

"Had?" She frowned, "What do you mean?"

"The Lee's cursed it by putting a bad seed in its hoof." He explained, "I had to...put a bullet in its head."

"Oh, Tommy, I'm so sorry!"

He said nothing, only lit a cigarette. Gwen could see that he was putting up a front; but she knew how devastated he must be.

"What are your plans for the afternoon?" He asked her, changing the subject quickly.

"I don't know." The strawberry blonde replied, "I'm meeting Polly for lunch...although, I don't know if that's still happening seeing as my work-day has changed."

"Your lunch plans are still on. Polly's still meeting you."

"I might...do some shopping." She said, "Maybe I'll see if there's a film on, or something. What about you?"

I'll take you to see the film. "I've got some business to take care of at the betting shop."

He took the scenic route back to Small Heath, driving via the meadow so they could see the horses for half and hour before Tommy dropped Gwen back home.

As soon as the strawberry blonde entered her house, she made her way into the kitchen...and frowned when she could see Tommy still parked outside of her house.

He got out of the car and made his way to her front garden gate before he stopped. Undecided about something. He quickly returned to his car, and sped off without giving her home a second glance.

Gwen turned her attention to the basket on her counter, before grabbing it and putting her purse inside.

The strawberry blonde left her house, and took herself to the market. She purchased a couple more apples, and some tea and milk. She had had to throw her bread out; it had gone mouldy where she hadn't eaten it, so she daren't buy another if she wasn't going to eat it!

"Good morning, Gwen." Samuel greeted her, Charlie wagging his tail at the postman's heel.

"Good morning!" She replied, offering him a kind smile. "Back from your walk?" She asked, reaching down to pet the boarder collie upon his head.

"Yes, we've had a lovely stroll in the woods." Samuel said, "Are you not working today?"

"No, I'm looking for things to do today to keep me busy." She said with a small laugh as the dog licked her hand, "I'm meeting Polly for lunch in about an hour."

"What are you doing after lunch?" He asked politely.

"Nothing yet. I thought I might go and see a film. I heard that new one with Rudolph Valentino is supposed to be quite good."

"I saw a review about it in yesterday's paper. Sounds like it's a must-see." He smiled.

"Oh? Well, would you like to come with me this afternoon?" She asked, "I could meet you outside the pictures at three o'clock?"