Chapter Seven

Gwen found herself humming that next Saturday morning, she was feeling a little more energised after her day spent in the meadow with Tommy. She was happier, finally feeling like she was finding her old self again.

She was about to leave for work, but hesitated at the door. Frowning, the strawberry blonde turned to look at her kitchen counter...where there were several green apples sitting in a bowl.

She remembered that Polly had started getting her groceries.

The strawberry blonde took one of the large fruits in her hand, and bit into it. The sweet, yet sharp juices filling her mouth instantly.

Gwen ate the fruit as she walked to work, occasionally hopping in the centre of the squares where one of her neighbours children had drawn a chalk hopscotch.

"Good morning, Harry." She greeted the barman with a smile, causing him to drop the cloth in his hand.

"Morning, Gwen." He watched as she popped her apple core in the bin. "Good day, yesterday?"

She nodded, the dimpled smile still on her face, "Yes, it was lovely, thank you. Were you busy?"

"Not particularly." He replied, "Most people were out at the first day at that fair. I think perhaps they'll all be back in here today though."

She remembered, in the car on the way back into Small Heath, Tommy telling her that he was picking up a new horse before he went to the fair.

"The Shelby's are going to the fair today." She said, "Tommy told me yesterday."

Harry sighed, relieved, "Good, because I think Grace wanted to sing some songs if we had a lot of people in. We discussed it yesterday, it might lift everyone's spirits up a bit."

"That's a good idea." She replied, lifting some of the chairs off of the tables with Harry. "Grace didn't mention that she could sing?"

"Like an angel!" Harry chuckled, "One of the reasons I hired her; she said that she used to work at a pub back in Ireland. Apparently, her singing made the men cry and stopped them from fighting."

"Wow!" Gwen exclaimed, "Then I hope we're busy, I'd love to hear her."

The Garrison was very busy.

And Grace did sing like an angel.

Everyone joined in, even Gwen found herself smiling from ear to ear, and humming along from behind the bar.

That was until the doors opened and the Shelby's walked in, causing every man to freeze and fall into silence. But not Grace.

Gwen admired her for wanting to finish the song. The strawberry blonde smiled encouragingly towards her coworker, as Harry went as white as a sheet.

When Grace finished her song, all eyes turned to the Shelby's.

Gwen found her hazel eyes meeting Tommy's ocean blues.

"We've not had singing in her for a long time, have we, Mister Shelby?" Harry spoke incredibly nervously.

"Why do you think that is, Harry?"

Tommy lit a cigarette, before he (along with his brothers,) disappeared into the snug.

Grace stepped down from her chair, and the Garrison went back to quiet murmurs. Some of the patrons left, some moved up to the bar to order another round.

The strawberry blonde laughed at something her customer - Samuel - said, and the hatch flew open behind her not a moment later.

She finished pouring the pint, the postman before her falling victim to silence; his face pale. He paid for his drink before quickly moving away.