Torn

"You're a little late... I'm already torn."

-Natalie Imbruglia

"Can we get out of here?" I whispered into Benjamin's ear while the fireworks were still booming.

"Yeah, let's go" he answered.

I tapped Piper on the shoulder. "We're going to get out of here while everyone's distracted." I told her. She turned around confused and saw Ben. She looked at me and nodded.

"I'll call you in a little bit." She said.

Benjamin and I turned around and walked against the crowd to leave. Every face looking down from the fireworks to stare at us. We made it to his truck without saying a word. He grabbed my hand and turned me to look at him.

"I... I don't know..." I started to say when he kissed me.

"Don't." He said when he pulled away. "Let's just get out of here. Fuck this town and everyone in it. Let's go far away." He suggested.

I didn't know if he was serious or not, but I nodded yes. He kissed me again, squeezed my hand three times and opened the passenger side door of his truck for me. I hopped in and watched him walk around the front of his truck to the driver's side. He paused for a moment before jumping in himself.

"Where are we going?" I asked him even though his answer truly didn't matter as long as it was anywhere but here.

"Let's just drive and see where it takes us." He decided.

"Okay" I agreed.

We drove off in the direction out of town in silence, except for the truck radio that was playing music so quietly I couldn't tell if it was in my head or the actual radio. We drove for half an hour when I decided I should say something.

"Look... What you heard tonight..." I began.

"Rylee...You don't have to explain..." He tried to stop me.

"Yes, I do..." I told him.

"This happened when y'all were together right? Before you met me?" Benjamin asked

He must've left before the part where Amy screamed in Luke's face that he cheated on her. Benjamin basically gave me a free out, so I took it.

"Yeah... Of course." I lied avoiding eye contact.

"Then it doesn't matter. Forget your ex. Forget his crazy girlfriend. Tonight, it's just you and me." He said confidently.

I scooted to the middle seat and laid my head on his shoulder while we drove another half hour in silence. Suddenly I could hear him whisper singing but couldn't make out every line.

"There's nothing... Lie...Conversation... Dry...that's...on. Nothing... I'm torn."

I grinned. I sat up off his shoulder and looked at him. He turned the radio up and just as I thought. He was singing along to Natalie Imbruglia's song "Torn".

"I'm all out of faith...This is how I feel... I'm cold and I am shamed lying naked on the floor" he sung louder making me laugh.

His turned-up nose flaring his nostrils with every lyric making him look like a Who from Whoville. It was adorable. His face lighting up with every street light we passed.

"Illusions never changed into something real... I'm wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn... You're a little late...I'm already torn" he sang with emotion clenching his fist.

"So I guess the fortune tellers right...do do do do do... Should've seen just what was there and not some holy light...You crawl beneath my veins and now" I sang loudly with just as much emotion.