“How do they keep finding us?!” Liam yelled breathlessly, leading the boys towards a less lit part of the town.

Louis snorted. “Ask Niall,” he answered, referring to the blonde’s earlier tweet about what restaurant they were going to eat at that night.

Niall just laughed loudly, grinning happily despite the fact that he hadn’t been able to get his food.

“This way, they can’t see us in here!” Zayn yelled, ducking off into a darkened alley. The rest of the band shrugged and followed suit, lining up close to the wall in the shadows. Seconds later, the fans ran screaming past, waving posters and carrying albums and notebooks to be signed.

The boys exchanged glances and smiled happily. Just because they avoided the fans tonight didn’t mean that they didn’t appreciate all the attention and the love…

…But that didn’t mean that they didn’t enjoy the occasional quiet night just by themselves.

“Think they’re gone yet?” Liam asked from where he was squished against the wall behind Louis and Harry.

Said curly headed flirt leaned away from the wall. "I dunno. But I bet we could go out this way easier…" He made his way blindly toward the end of the alley. Suddenly he let out a startled yell as he fell face first to the ground.

"Hazza!" Louis cried dramatically. He ran over to him. "Are you breathing?! Did you break anything?!"

Harry grinned over at Lou, his eyes twinkling. But when he glanced back over at what had caused him to fall, his smile fell and the color drained from his face. Confused, Louis followed his gaze, assuming the same expression seconds later.

Behind them on the ground, curled into the fetal position, was a girl, no older than Harry or Niall. She was unnaturally still and silent.

"Is she…?" Louis started, staring blankly.

Harry snapped out of his stupor first and scrambled over to her, turning her over and holding a hand beneath her nose to check if she was breathing. Now that she lay flat, they could both see the steady rise and fall of her chest.

By now, the other three had made their way over, silently watching as Harry checked her over.

"What do you think happened to her?" Zayn asked, kneeling down beside them.

"I'm not sure. And there's no telling how long she's been laying out here in this cold… Louis, call Paul. He can come get us and take us back to Hazz's and your place," Liam ordered, quickly assuming the role of Daddy Direction.

While Lou did that, Harry and Zayn rolled up the girl's sleeves, pant legs, and anywhere else they could look without going too far, checking for bruises and other injuries. After seeing the only markings were around her neck, Harry lifted her up gingerly, holding her bridal style.

Moments later, Paul pulled up and jumped out, worry etched on his face from Louis's frantic phone call. When he saw that none of the boys were hurt, he calmed down, but raised his eyebrow at the unconscious girl in Harry's arms.

"Umm…" Harry stated eloquently.

"We found her," Liam broke in. "It doesn't look like she's hurt too bad, and we couldn't just leave her out here." He was still in full on Daddy Direction mode.

Paul thought for a second then nodded. "Fine, pile in."

The lads all climbed in the car, gingerly pulling the girl in with them and stretching her over their laps.

"So what's the plan?" Paul asked from the front seat.

"The second we come up with one, you'll be the sixth to know," Louis replied cheekily.