one ; diagon alley

Start from the beginning

"You can come in, Rory," Dad said.

I did as he told me, immediately spotting the pile of letters sitting on his desk. I looked at him for permission and when he waved his hand for me to go ahead and look, I rushed forward and sorted through various articles of mail, before I saw the thing I had been waiting for the past ten — almost eleven — years of my life.

With an excited squeak, I ran out of the office to show my brother. The soft laughter of my father grew fainter the farther I went down the corridor, past various family portraits hanging on the cream-colored walls and wooden doors leading to different rooms.

"Att! Att, my letter came!" I exclaimed, thrusting the yellowed parchment in front of his face.

Atticus grinned, and took the letter from me to inspect.

"Yup," he said. "This right here is a genuine Hogwarts letter, straight from McGonagall herself."

Just then, I heard the rattle of the door knob from the other room. I snatched the letter from Att's hands and ran to share the news with one of my favorite people in the world.

"Mum! My letter came!" I exclaimed for the second time that day, my nightmare long forgotten.

With a tired but sincere smile she said, "That's wonderful dear. We'll go to Diagon Alley tomorrow to get your supplies."

Both of my parents were Aurors, and Mum had recently returned from a mission, so she had to go into the Ministry to sort out some last minute things. That meant she was tired, but nevertheless, she still found it in her to be (in my opinion) one of the best parents in the world.

. . . . .

Early the next morning of July thirty-first, I was sitting anxiously at the dining room table rereading my Hogwarts acceptance letter for the fiftieth time since I had gotten it. By then I knew whole thing by heart, but that didn't stop me.

Around nine o'clock, my brother made his way downstairs and sat down next to me, grabbing an apple out of a bowl on the table and biting into it.

I scrunched up my nose at the sound of his chewing. "You're gross, Atticus. Chew with your mouth closed."

He just grinned and ruffled my hair.

I scowled, attempting to pat down my already unruly mane.

Then, Mum made her way in and asked, "Are you two ready?" When we both nodded she said, "Good. Now we just have to wait for your father."

On cue, Dad walked out of his office, holding a jar of what I knew contained Floo powder. "Almost out," he observed, "I'll have to pick up some more today. That means you're going together, Rory and Atticus."

I immediately sprung up, grabbed my letter and Att's arm, and rushed towards the fireplace where Dad was adding a pinch of Floo powder to the flames, causing them to turn a bright green.

"You know what to do? Remember to speak very clearly," reminded Dad, and I nodded, eagerly stepping into the fireplace with Att following behind me. "Your mother and I will be right behind you."

As the flames tickled my legs, I said firmly, "Diagon Alley!" and not a second later, we were swept away.

After a rather dizzying ride, Att and I stepped out of The Leaky Cauldron and into the busy streets bustling with many different witches and wizards. Although I had been there before countless times, the sight of so many different kinds of people packed into one place still amazed me.

"Alright," said Mum once her and Dad made their way towards us. "I think I'll go with Rory to go get her robes fitted. Cas, you can go with Atticus to go get some more Floo powder and then we'll meet up at Flourish & Blott's."