His eyes were closed and though he didn't seem particularly comfortable, he looked peaceful in his sleep.

Her heart fluttered at the sight, but she couldn't help wonder why he didn't come in her room last night? Why was the hall a better option then the bed?

"Bennett?" She says gently, kneeling down and running her fingers along the slight stubble of his jaw.

His eyes flutter open. Two brown pools that Elara has come to know like the back of her hand, connect with her blue eyes.

"What are you -" She begins but Bennett cuts her off, sitting up a little straighter as he does.

"Everett let me in," his hand moves and grabs Elara's as she cups his cheek, holding her to him as if she were the water he desperately needed to survive, "I'm sorry."

Elara's eyebrows scrunched together as she stared at her mate, who was scrambling to clear the grogginess from his voice so he could continue.

"I should have told you the truth sooner. But I didn't know how. I didn't want to ruin everyting between us before it really started. Please don't be upset at me anymore," his hand cupped her cheek as her own hands fell into her lap.

Surprised floored Elara and all she could do is stare at Bennett. When had she given him the impression that she was mad at him?

She was never really mad that he hadn't told her about the vampires sooner. Sure, it could have been easier to digest had he told her what he knew in private first and gave her time to adjust to the news.

But being mad about it was never the problem.

"I wasn't mad at you," she says softly, sliding down the wall to sit next to him, "Is that why you slept in the hall and not in the bed with me?"

"You wouldn't even look at me before you ran out of the office," Bennett adjusted again and his back popped audibly causing him to groan, "You have no idea how long I stood in front of your door with my hand on the knob ready to go in. But then I thought about how you ran out of the meeting. I hated that I couldn't come after you. I wanted so badly to come after you,"

His eyes begged for her to understand, but she already did. She had figured that the Alpha's had probably asked Bennett to stay and she knew that he would have. Just as she would have had they tried to stop her.

"I wasn't mad," Elara clarified, moving to rest her head on his shoulder as she slid her hand down his arm until she could link their fingers together, "Overwhelmed and blindsided, yes. But I can't be mad at you for something that wasn't your fault."

Bennett pressed a kiss to Elara's head, lingering there for a moment as he inhaled the scent that he missed all night. Silence encompassed them but neither seemed in a particular hurry to go anywhere or say anything.

But deep down, Elara knew she would have to move. She wouldn't be putting training off until tomorrow. She knew she couldn't stay in the moment much longer like she so desperately wanted to.

"I'm going to start training," She didn't need to ask permission and that's not what she was doing.

But she wanted to let him know of her plans because as her mate, he had a right to know.

"I'll always protect you," Bennett cupped her chin and turned her to face him so she could see the promise in his eyes.

Elara couldn't help herself. She leaned forward and pressed her lips to his. The kiss was soft and slow, a sweet promise that didn't need to be voiced.

"I know," she whispered against his lips, before pulling away slightly so her eyes could connect with his, "But that's not why I'm going to start training."

Her fingers moved slowly up his jaw before idly playing with his short brown hair as she marveled (again) at how handsome her mate is.

"I need to be able to protect myself, especially when there is a threat of vampires," she could tell that by the look on Bennett's face he was about to argue, so she quickly moved her hand to cover his mouth.

"I need you to be able to protect yourself and not worry about me if something does happen," Elara knew she made sense and the look in Bennett's brown eyes told her she knew it too.

But he didn't look all too happy about it as he wrapped his fingers around her wrist and gently pulled her hand away from his mouth.

"The only way that would ever happen, is if I know you were trained well," He pressed a small kiss to the inside of her wrist before standing up and helping Elara up, "So I'll teach you myself."

"Deal," Elara sealed it with a kiss, before wrapping her arms tightly around his neck and pressing her body against his.

Bennett knew he didn't like the idea of her fighting, especially against the vampires, but she was right. He can't keep himself safe for her if he's worried about Elara all the time.

At least if he trains her, he'll know she can handle her own.

He hoped, anyway.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Hi beautiful readers!

Let me know your honest opinions about this chapter! I'm on the fence with it, but I wanted to show a little Bennett and Elara time.

You're Amazing! Thank you!