🀄︎Chapter 2: A Legend Reborn🀄︎

{Present Day}

"Grandma I'll be fine it's not like I haven't been on this type of trip before." Koharu stated as she was trying to escape from the bone-crushing hug she was getting from the leader of the temple who was also her Grandmother. Koharu's Grandmother was an elderly lady who looked to be in her mid 60's. The woman was rather short and her hair had lost all of its colors over the years, but her youthful optimism never left. Her name is Akiko Tomira, and she happened to be the very same woman that took Koharu in when she was just an infant crying on the steps of the Temple. "But, you'll be gone for four months. I'll be all alone." The woman said with tears running down her wrinkled cheeks.

"Grandma its only four months, you'll bearly notice I'm gone. Besides, it'll just fly by before you even know it. Now, please let me go!" Koharu screamed as the old woman continued to crush Koharu's spine with her bear hug. Ever since that night, Akiko and her husband raised Koharu to be a strong and confident woman. However, when Koharu turned six years old she found out how her Grandparents found her. They had never seen Koharu so depressed or so vulnerable. Thus, Akiko's husband decided to teach her how to wield a sword. In order to give Koharu the confidence she needed. Therefore every year Koharu goes into the Iron Woods for four months to train in the way of the sword. Even though Akiko hated the thought of Koharu being alone in the Iron Woods but Koharu needed this trip more than ever.

"But Ko-chan why are you choosing to go today when the date was set in 3 weeks?" Akiko inquired as she finally let go of her dear grandchild who hunched over her knees and gasping for air. Once Koharu finally controlled her breathing she stands straight and looked at her grandma with a curious look in her eyes. "Huh? I wonder why?" Koharu question that herself. Koharu didn't know why she chose to go today, but it's almost like something inside her is telling her that she needs to go immediately. "I don't really know grandma it's just that it feels like I need to go. No, I have to go..." Koharu said as her eyes wandered towards a window that had a beautiful view of the forest. Akiko knew the look in her eyes once Koharu makes up her mind there's no going back. "Oh, alright, but I want you to come back home without a single scratch young lady" Akiko said in a humorous tone. Koharu just laughed at her Grandmother's total attitude change.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

"So, you have everything right? Your sleeping bag, tent, food supplies, emergency kit, clothes, hunting knife, rope, flashlight, extra batteries, lantern, canteen, repair kit, sunblock, and a toothbrush, underwear." "Grandma Yes! I have everything don't worry." Koha cut off her Grandmother in embarrassment. Akiko just huffed at her granddaughter's outburst but smiled all the same. It was never easy and still is. To let her grandchild go out into the woods by herself but still, she understood Koharu needed these trips. In order to be able to grow into the person, she knows Koharu can be.

"Well, I'm off Grandma." Koharu said as she gave a radiant smile to her Grandmother before she grabbed her bag full of her supplies and started to walk into the woods. Just as Koharu was in the woods "KOHARU!" she turned around when she heard her name being shouted out. "DON'T CATCH A COLD OUT THERE AND WEAR YOUR RAINCOAT! IT'S GOING TO RAIN TONIGHT!" Akiko shouted as tears started to run down her face. Koharu knew her Grandmother was very emotional but for her to be crying after all these years. Koharu couldn't help but have tears in her eyes as well. "DON'T WORRY! I'LL BE FINE!" Koharu shouted back before she took a deep breath and turned around to continue forward to her destination.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

After an hour or two of walking into the woods, Akiko's prediction of the rain came true. Koharu had to put on her raincoat and take out her umbrella to protect her from the storm. But it didn't protect her from her own clumsiness. The wind picks up and blew Koharu on the ground and the collision cause Koharu to let go of her umbrella and cut her knee on a sharp rock. She hissed in pain as blood from the wound started to seep through her pants. Koharu opened her bag to grab some bandages from the emergency kit. Once she finished patching herself up Koharu realized that her umbrella has flown away because of the wind. Koharu just huffed in annoyance as she went back into her back and grabbed a traditional Japanese purple umbrella with sakura flower designs. It was a good thing that she was prepared for everything the wild would throw at her. But somehow Koharu felt a little off today like something is arising.