Part 35

"A nuke?" Emma's already pale face went two shades whiter as she stared at Belle with incredulity. She snapped her gaze to Gold when Belle nodded. "You not just a criminal." She growled in disgust. "You're a psychopathic killer!" Gold simply laughed at her.

"I'm only getting my revenge on those who have wronged me girl." He sneered.

"You're a monster! There are innocent people in Storybrooke! Families!" Emma spat.

Golds eyes grew dark. "There are no innocents in this world dearie."

Regina was tapping her expensive shoes nervously on the gravel near the truck. Her arms were folded and she had not taken her eyes off the mine opening since Emma and her father had gone inside. She hadn't heard gunfire so she felt confident that she was complying with Emma's demand. But she hadn't heard anything for minutes now and each passing second felt like a lifetime to her.

Finally she couldn't take it anymore. Regina felt that she would fly apart if she didn't go inside and find out what was happening inside. She couldn't go in empty handed though. She needed a weapon. She looked inside the bed of the truck and found a baseball bat.

"Perfect." She said to herself as she hefted the bat in her hands and walked slowly to the mine's entrance. She allowed her eyes to adjust as much as possible before going deep into the mine. Regina could make out voices up ahead, the low tone of Gold and the much higher Emma. Emma sounded upset and even though she was in trouble hearing her voice meant that she was alive and Regina felt like she could suddenly breathe again.

Quietly she moved forward on the ground, after her ankle buckled for the umpteenth time on the uneven dirt, she finally kicked off her Jimmy Choo's and continued on. She was beginning to be able to understand what was being said. Emma was calling Gold a monster and Regina smiled at her beloved's courage. Even in the face of danger Emma wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

She saw light up ahead and tried to move even more silent than she had been. Peeking carefully into the open area of the mine she took in the scene. Gold's back was to her and he was pointing his gun at Emma which made her throat clench.

Suddenly the years that Gold had tormented her, Emma, their family, and the whole town exploded from inside her. Gripping the bat's handle she pulled back and swung with everything she had.

"The only thing that I have yet to decide dearie." Gold was in the middle of gloating. "Should I kill you now? Or wait for the bomb to-" He was interrupted by the loud crack of the bat off his skull and he collapsed unconscious onto the dirt.

"Regina!" Emma's grin spread from ear to ear as she scrambled to her feet. She wrapped the slightly shorter brunette in her arms, lifted her up and swung her around in a circle. Regina could only laugh at being spun in the arms of her beloved.

"Emma! Put me down!" She laughed as Emma finally set her down. "You're making me dizzy!"

"I thought I told you to stay in the truck." Emma grinned and Regina gave her a scowl.

"I'm not a dog Emma, I don't stay just because you say so." Emma laughed and kissed Regina only to be interrupted seconds later.

"Um ladies?" Belle exclaimed from the ground. "I can appreciate the reunion, but a little help here?"

Emma and Regina broke apart and hurried to Belle to begin undoing her restraints. "Oh we're so sorry Belle! We were just-"

Belle gave them a grin and a wink. "No worries ladies. I'd just rather not be so close to that thing." She said as she pointed toward the bomb.