“That gay-boy that you’re always going out with? Why don’t you date someone who is actually in to your lady parts?” She chuckled humorlessly.

Clenching my fists I turned back to her with narrowed eyes, “Stop calling him that. Just because he is gay doesn’t mean that it defines who he is. His name is Chris and I’m not dating him, clearly. I can hang out with guys without having sex with them.”

Not that I really did except with Chris but she didn’t need to know that. I haven’t had a proper boyfriend since my senior year. It was a bad breakup and left some lingering feelings of resentment in me. I didn’t trust many people to begin with but since then, the only relationships I’ve had with guys lasted a night at most. Except with Chris, he is only the only guy that I can really trust but that’s because he is gay and isn’t going to break my heart.

Mom thinks because she hasn’t seen me with another guy besides Chris that I’m warding off guys or secretly dating him even though he is most definitely, one-hundred percent gay. There is no denying it. He always has his blonde hair styled to perfection with gel, his tall, lanky body is accessorized even more so than mine with Hollister, American Eagle, whatever preppy clothing store you can think of and skinny jeans that show off his chicken-like legs. The only thing that might make you think twice is the baseball caps he likes to wear. He loves sports-mostly baseball. He says because he likes the game but I think he really just likes to watch the men run around in those pants. Once he whips his phone out with pictures of Lady Gaga plastered all over it, you won’t have anything to question anymore.

I love him though. Our personalities go to together perfectly. He gets my pessimistic tendencies and cynical view of the world. His parents weren’t very accepting of him when he came out and that left him with a dark view of people. We also have the same taste in guys, tall, dark and muscular. When we go out to clubs together we’re known as the ‘One, Two Punch’ because we knock guys out with our good looks and charm. He’s my wingman and I’m his wing-girl.

“Don’t talk to me like that Audrey May. And who said you could go out?” My mother said sternly.

I was going to follow Farah’s advice, I really was but this woman just brings out the anger in me.

“I did. I’m nineteen; I can go out when I want.” I said crossing my arms.

She scoffed, “If you live in my house-“

"You live by my rules,” I finished in a mocking tone, “Yeah, I know. I’m sure those words have been said a million times. How unoriginal. At least mix it up a little. Maybe do it Yoda style, like, If live in my house you do, my rules you live by.”“

Her face must have turned fifty shades of red before she spluttered out, “That’s it, get your ass upstairs.”

I grinned, a little too pleased at myself, “No thanks, I’m just going to go meet up with Chris. Don’t wait up.”

Finally getting the door open and stepping out my mother followed screaming.

“Don’t you dare! If you leave don’t bother coming back.” She warned her finger pointing viciously at me.

I didn’t stop. I knew she was bluffing and even if she wasn’t it was my dream come true. I didn’t want to stay anymore than she did. Sure, I didn’t really have anywhere else to go but Farah and Chris wouldn’t just leave me out on the streets.

I waved her off, “Like I said, don’t wait up.”

A second later I heard the door slam as I got into my car. Taking a deep breath, I composed myself before a smile snuck its way on my face. That Yoda line was pure genius.