4.1 Responsible Sourcing & Crediting

Because it is so important and so often neglected in remix circles, we're starting with a quick discussion on sourcing and crediting your remix materials. (We're also potentially stopping some potential problems...like violating someone else's copyright...before they become a serious issue.)

If you only remember one thing from this particular section, please let it be this: Preserve and present your source material. Always.

For those of you beyond school, do you remember hours and hours of creating and double-checking bibliographies and works cited lists? Your teachers weren't trying to torture you. They were helping you develop a habit that will make your creative work less of a headache. (For those of you still in school, hang in there. There's a point to some of this torture, especially if you're a creative soul exploring a future that includes an independent or freelance career.)

If you keep good records of where you find your inspiration, you'll be able to properly credit those inspirations and any research sources that play into your work. In an age where we can save a link to an article, a digital image, a quote, media, etc., simply by clicking on an icon that captures that information to a notetaking app, there is absolutely no reason to not be responsible with your crediting. Crediting your sources is a good way to reciprocate with those creators and researchers, and it can help you build connections with others who might be exploring the same (or similar) resources in their own work.

Being thorough and conscientious in recording these citations can sometimes have a happy, if stressful, side effect - it may surface relevant copyright information, meaning you can't actually use it without contacting the rightsholder. (It can also sometimes lead to finding out the rightsholder is someone you would prefer not to be associated with, giving you a heads-up and time to go find a less icky inspiration or resource.)

Even if all you're doing is sharing a social media post, always make sure the information from the original post comes along with it. Don't remove the original poster's name or handle (depending on what's provided by the social media platform's sharing tools). Be responsible. It'll save you headaches, and protect your cred. Always a good thing.