Chapter 12

“Love insists loved loves back.”

– Dante Alighieri

“What do you mean, R?” Luke asked. He looked at his pupil very urgently, as if he feared the answer. “What have you found?”

Rachel sighed. “Do you remember, Professor, that before you left, you told us to keep an eye on what was happening at the Ministry of Research and Development? To keep updated on their announcements?”

“Yes.”

“We heard nothing about them. It’s been a long time since we heard something, actually. So, we decided to do something a bit more... investigative.”

“What did you do, Rachel, please tell us,” Raja asked.

“I went with a few others to the Ministry,” she told them. “We introduced ourselves as students looking forward to work as trainees and volunteers because we intended to pursue a career at the Ministry. This way, we got in and we had a little tour. That’s when we found out about the Corporation.”

“Corporation? What Corporation.”

“It’s called Prism Corporation. It is affiliated to the Prism Laboratories.”

“Prism Laboratories? That is where my parents work! I never heard of such thing as a Corporation.”

“They are basically the same, Professor. However, the Corporation is a very private organisation within the laboratories which conducts all the activities. It is like an elite group, so not many people know about it at all. But it is a vast network of people from every Province in the world. Powerful people: ministers, Prime-Ministers, doctors, scientists, professors, you name it.”

“What is its purpose?”

“It is not about their purpose, Raja. We all know what they want. They want to keep enhancing the Transhuman race,” Luke said. “The real question is: What are their methods?”

Rachel looked at her tutor with a fiery expression.

“Do you remember a month ago when we discussed about the uncommon decrease on the population of Sub-humans?”

“Yes, I remember that... We considered the possibility of a disease, isn’t that right?”

“Yes, but it is not a disease, Professor. The Prism Corporation uses Sub-humans for experiments.”

Raja gasped. “They do what?

“They are using Sub-humans for experiments. There are about nine billion Sub-humans registered on Earth, however only half of them are slaves. The other half is living specimens for scientific experiments conducted in the Prism Laboratories.”

“Oh no...” Luke covered his face with his hands. “Human experiments?”

“Like I said, Professor, it is a second Holocaust.”

“It is halfway to genocide,” Raja said furiously. “What do they do to these people? Tell me all you know.”

“I do not know much, ma’am, I am sorry. I couldn’t go too far. I only know they are kept in concentration camps at first, away from the Provinces, where they are examined and divided. After that, in small groups, they are taken to the laboratories. This is all I know.”

“Concentration camps,” Raja murmured, shocked. “How many? How many camps?”

“I do not know,” Rachel said looking down. “But I believe there is at least one near each Province.”