Chapter 5

“The customs and fashions of men change like leaves on the bough, some of which go and others come.”

Dante Alighieri

Raja went to the upper floor where the children’s’ playroom was located. They had about twenty children aged from 5 months to thirteen years old, and Raja made sure they would have their own space. When a child was born, they would stay at the nursery until they reached the age of three, when they were moved to the playroom. Their education would start from there, but the formal education would only come when they reached the age of six and were moved to the schoolroom, where they remained until they were eighteen.

All the children and teenagers were educated like in the old school agenda; they would learn English, Math, History and Geography of both the old world and the new world. They would learn about science and how its manipulation had destroyed the world. They would have Physics, Chemistry and Biology classes, and they all could speak at least French, Spanish, German, Italian and Latin. One of the girls, a little prodigy, had become fluent in all those languages and decided to learn Portuguese, Russian, Arabic, Hindi and Hebrew. She had excelled herself at every class she took, demonstrating a formidable intelligence and a great memory. She knew long Math formulas and had no problem decoding Chemical substances.

Her intelligence was so great it was no surprise she became the leader of the group...

Raja always knew it was unfair for her to compete with other children, and she felt guilty for being so brilliant. However, she understood that intelligence was necessary, and that she should use it wisely. Still, it did not keep her from worrying that this gift would become a curse.

She sat by the corner of the room, watching the toddlers play. Being among the children calmed her, and reminded her why she was doing that. They were innocents born in an unfair world that would want their heads on a plate, and Raja could not allow them to be harmed in a war they did not start.

“You seem to like children very much,” a voice said from behind her. She turned around and saw Luke grinning at her.

“They calm me down,” she replied coldly, turning again to the children.

Luke sat beside her.

“Do you have any?”

“No.”

“Why? I suppose you, out of everyone in this group, should have children.”

She knew it was true, but his intromission bothered her.

“It is none of your business,” she replied.

“Do you fear bringing children to this world if you fail to assure they will have a good life?”

It was one of the reasons why she had decided not to have children, but she would never admit that.

“Our children will have a good future,” Raja said. “All of them. I will make sure of it.”

Luke nodded.

“So you did not get married?”

The Transhuman did not seem to perceive he was asking too intimate questions to the resistance’s leader.

“No.”

“That surprises me. Why?”

“It is also none of your business.”

“I will tell you about me, if you tell me about you.” He grinned.

“Why do you think I want to know about you?” she asked disdainfully. “I do not care.”