Chapter 30: Just a Sentence

Start from the beginning

"Right, right!" Shi Fengju's face stiffened and he felt awkward. After all, only he and Sang Wan knew of their current relationship. But for a third party to speak so highly of them, he felt somewhat apologetic. However, deep inside, he did not resent such a feeling.

"Nanny, rest early!" The two awkwardly fled from Nanny Li's chamber. Looking at each other, their faces flushed and they quickly turned away.

"Let's go back!"

"En!"

A journey back without words.

A curtain to separate the two, they each lay quietly but the atmosphere seemed to contain a strange kind of tension. Obviously, they knew the one opposite of the curtain could not see the one on the other side, but there was this strange feeling that seemed like the one on the opposite side was giving off an intense stare. The two lay motionlessly, and their breathing could not help but be extremely careful.

"You—— asleep already?" In the dark and under the blanket of silence, Shi Fengju's voice was like a small pebble that fell into a calm lake, making a rhythmic circle of ripples.

After a long while, but perhaps it was just a short moment, before Shi Fengju was about to jump to his conclusion that Sang Wan would not respond to his question, she gently answered a 'no'.

Shi Fengju turned his body over to face the direction of the bed. His hand was bent under a pillow and his other hand clenched loosely beside his cheek.

"Do you find it strange why I treat Nanny well?" Shi Fengju asked.

Sang Wan gently opened her eyes and smiled, "A little. Supposedly..."

Supposedly, the young sirs and misses would usually regard their nannies as their confidants, and their favoritism towards them could be heavily sighted. However, for someone like Shi Fengju who deeply respects and behaves well in front of his nanny lest provoking the slightest unpleasantness in the old nanny is very much less seen.

Shi Fengju sighed deeply which revealed a bottomless amount of grief, gratitude, and compassion. He spoke softly, "Nanny, who is older than my mother by a whole ten years, followed her into this household. At one point, to save my father, her husband lost his life. And as for her, she saved me but ended up losing her only son forever."

Sang Wan pursed her lips slightly and gave a soft "ah!".

Shi Fengju continued, "Nanny's son was older than me by a year. Since young, Nanny had taught him to always protect me, to always place me first. But in fact, we grew up together and played together so we were like brothers. Even without Nanny telling him, he would have done it anyway. I remember when I was nine, my mother brought me to visit my grandparents who lived far away. On the way there, we encountered a group of refugees. Nanny, her son, and I were chased by them. Seeing that the refugees were chasing after us from all directions, I was extremely frightened at that time. Nanny then grabbed her son's, and my, hand before fleeing desperately. However, we were eyed by them and two middle-aged men came chasing after us. In that dire situation, she instructed her son to lure them away from us before bringing me to hide among a patch of grass."

Shi Fengju smiled bitterly, "Later after we got home, a group of men was sent to search for Nanny's son. Who would have known that after half a year, all that was found was a corpse? It seems those two middle-aged men had caught him and sold him into slavery. When he tried to escape, he was discovered and was beaten to death."

"As such, if not for Nanny and her son, then maybe I, Shi Fengju, would have already long left this world! Our household owes nanny two lives, and in my heart, she is my second mother."