Chapter #12

Carter's birthday. August 12th. We gave him everything he wished for. Life was hard for him especially after what happened to Jack. We bought two cakes for them. One for Carter and one for Jack. We ate Carter's and it was delicious. But we just sat around the table and stared woefully at Jack's chocolate cake. Gary closed his eyes. I followed. Then Tori, then Tim, then Carter, Rosey, and even Rowan. We all wished for the same thing.

That same day, we all walked to the cemetery where Jack was buried. We found his gravestone and stood in a half-circle in front of it. I placed a slice of chocolate cake with a glowing candle on it on top of his grave. "Carter made this for you, Jack," I said. "He may want to talk to you. Alone." Carter stood there frowning with shiny eyes while the rest of us walked away.

"Hey, big brother. I miss you. I want you to know that I tried and that I will never forget you. Here is a poem written by 'Anonymous'.

Today is full of memories
Of a brother laid to rest
And every single one of us
Ain't full of happiness

For you were someone special
Always such a joy to know
And there was so much pain
When it was time to let you go

That's why this special message
I
s sent to Heaven above
For the angels to take care of you
And give you all my love

I love you Jack, more than Taco Bell takeout."

"Me too," a voice said. It was familiar. Jack.

We cried. We left flowers and ate lunch at "The Funeral Farm" which is supposed to be a restaurant for people whose loved ones died and need to be treated respectfully for their loss. We even bought some food for Jack that would be placed by his grave along with the cake. I bought him a workbook and left it there, too. I hoped he could do it even after being dead.

We went home and played his favorite song with Gary's guitar and a drum.

And we watched his favorite movie with popcorn.

And wished happy birthday to Carter.

"Carter, was this a good birthday?" I asked when the sun began to set.

"This was the saddest birthday EVER," he sniffed. Then he burst into uncontrollable sobbing.

That was the saddest day of my life.