Chapter 29 | This Skin Don't Feel like Home

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER: What's Wrong by PVRIS

      We all sat down around the dining table after we helped Lillian bring out all the food. She had cooked several different dishes, varying from chicken curry to pad Thai. Everything looked and smelled delicious, and I had high hopes it would taste delicious as well. Pushing all thoughts of Julian aside, I focused on the wonderful meals before me.

      "Mathilda, why on earth have you got chopsticks?" Corinna, Julian's other sister, asked. She was sitting across from her niece, eyeing her warily. So far, Mathilda had tried to pick up some chicken but it dropped straight onto the cream-coloured tablecloth, leaving behind an orange stain.

     "I am cultured," Mathilda announced, absentmindedly waving the chopsticks around in the air.

      Emelia laughed and shook her head, guiding Mathilda's arms down. "I don't even know where you learn to say half the stuff you do. Just use the fork, hon."

      "Mom, you don't understand," Mathilda groaned, sounding more like a teenager than her actual age of six. She resumed her attempt to use the chopsticks and continued to make a huge mess in the process.

      I bit my lip to hold back a laugh.

     Emelia shook her head again and didn't push it anymore. I'd been around Mathilda long enough now to understand that she was stubborn and very spirited. If she really wanted to use chopsticks, then she was going to use them, and there was no persuading her otherwise.

      Emelia muttered that she would be right back and disappeared into the house.

     We all served up some food and began eating. I was right – it was as delicious as it looked. Every single person at the table made sure to let Lillian know as well. When I asked why she cooked her own birthday lunch, Julian just explained to me how passionate she was about cooking.

      Before I finished my food, I excused myself to go to the bathroom. As I rounded the corner, someone almost slammed into me.

      "Sorry," Emelia and I said in unison.

       She laughed. "My bad. I never look where I'm going."

      "It's all good," I told her.

      Emelia smiled, but her eyes darted around my face. "By the way, I'm sorry for what I said earlier to you and Julian. I realised I must've hit a nerve by the way you both looked as though you wanted to jump off the nearest cliff."

      I wrung my hands and looked away. I knew precisely what she was referring to.

      I remember exactly what it was like to be young and in love.

      I forced a smile onto my lips. "It's fine. It's just weird since we're...we're not actually together."

      Understanding flashed across her face. "Oh. I didn't know. Sorry."

      "It's fine," I repeated, followed by a wince as I realised how that sounded. "Wait, it's-it's not like that. We're just, uh, you know...ugh, it's complicated." I finished with a sigh.

      Great. Now she must think we're friends with benefits or something. Julian is going to kill me.

      I didn't see how this day could get more awkward.

      "It's cool. I didn't mean to pry or make assumptions or anything," Emelia said, the smile still on her lips. "I probably shouldn't say anything, but I think Julian really likes you. Whatever you guys are, you're a good friend to him and I think he appreciates that."