Chapter Thirteen: Love Always Finds A Way

Começar do início

Rhesus nodded, chuckling nervously, "Yeah, yeah, I think I remember that. Small world." Evadne watched him curiously, a small smile gracing her lips. No matter how hard Rhesus was trying to play this situation off smoothly, it was not working. In fact, it was only to complicate the situation further.

Nysa cleared her throat, "Well, we should really be heading back."

"Oh, leaving so soon?" Evadne frowned.

"Yes," Nysa replied.

"No," Rhesus replied at the same time.

"We have to go now. We have someone waiting on us, for something important," Nysa said through gritted teeth, looking directly at Rhesus, without blinking. Rhesus either completely missed the point or didn't seem to care. He brushed her off, ignoring what she said.

"Don't worry, he'll find us here," Evadne spoke up for adding in a sly smile, "He always finds us."

"Right," Nysa frowned, "Either way, we should get going."

"Why bother? I'm already here," Alexios announced, walking up to the group.

"Alexios!" Echemus shouted, jumping slightly.

"I thought I told you guys to wait at the docks," sighing exasperatedly, he crossed his arms. He looked accusingly between the three of them with his eyebrows raised.

"Does it really matter why we are here? Did you at least find," Nysa threw a quick glance at Evadne before lowering her voice, "You know who?" Alexios paused before nodding and playing along.

            "Yes, and we should go now before we lose him."

            "Then we should go. You two know where you are supposed to be?" Nysa asked rhetorically, already setting off in the direction Alexios had come from. She didn't hear their answer, she only relied on the subtle head nod that came with the words she was too far away to hear.

            "What about you?" Alexios asked, after he had caught up with her brisk pace.

            "What about me?"

            "You know what you are meant to be doing?"

            "Of course, we only practiced it around one hundred times," she teased.

            "You could practice it a thousand times and still get it wrong," Alexios sighed, shaking his head, "There is a lot riding on this, Nysa. If you get it wrong—"

            "You think I do not know this? This could be my only chance at finding that artifact."

            "No, it could be much more serious than that. Siromos is a dangerous man and you could be hurt."

Nysa frowned, nodding, "Alexios I promise I am going to be really careful." Alexios nodded, seemingly satisfied with that answer. Though he did not seem any calmer about the situation. His whole body grew more and more tense as he led her to where Siromos was hiding.

            There, Alexios and Nysa separated reluctantly. He promised her that he would be watching from the shadows. Even though she wasn't planning on using it, she gripped her father's dagger. It brought comfort to her and she imagined that her pater was also helping her from beyond Hades.

            Taking a deep breath to steel herself, she strolled into the building Alexios had pointed her to.             Inside it was relatively small, not at all how Nysa would have imagined an undercover evil organization to run his business. A man greeted her as soon as she walked in, he watched her carefully.