Chapter Two

Kaitlyn

I have a headache, a massive headache. I have to call Olivia and tell her to cancel that meeting with the president of Don's Company consisting of that lawsuit then I still have to finish Karlie's room, then Jaxon comes back into town from his business meeting next weekend, and I have not gotten Karlie's transfer papers down. My mother's death really does screw into my plans.

I tilt my head over and see Kar sleeping with her headphones plugged into her ears. I carfully pull them off and pull her blanket onto her more.

I try to complete my report for my next case but my brain is on the fritz. I close my laptop and pull out my phone to send a text to Rebecca.

'We land in about...two more hours.'

'I can't wait to see your sister again, she is so adorable.'

'She is in her teenage years, she's not as cute as before, plus with the death of mom, she's more...quiet.'

'Of course she is, its the only parent she's had her entire life. The question right now is. How do YOU feel.'

'What.'

'Are you upset? Because when we talked yesterday, you sounded to calm, I was kinda hoping for the water works when you rushed down there.'

How do I resond to that? Of course i'm upset, i'm down right devastated but now that mother is gone, I have to take care of Karlie, and I'm only 24, I still don't know if my boyfriend will want a future with me or if I have to work late one night, or maybe Olivia, Rebecca, and I might go out and party one night, then me and Audrey have our hangout time. I'm still young, taking care of my baby sister was not in the plans of living my life in my twenties.

But that doesn't mean I don't love her, I have since the day I saw her, her pretty brown eyes and soft hair, and how she grew up, she always wanted to bother me and follow me around when Rebecca or Olivia invited me somewhere. She annoyed me but I don't hate her.

I just don't know her.

'Kaitlyn?!?!?! Did I make you mad bro?'

'Karlie has a boyfriend.' That's all I said, trying to steer the conversation away for something I wasn't ready for, especially over a text. I'll do it right, when I'm hungry and tired and with lots of food and we talk in our pajamas.

'No way, is he cute!'

'I guess.'

'Really.'

'I'm 24, the kid is 17, I say I guess because he doesn't peek my interest, he seems reckless.'

'California is a reckless place, Kary problem has done some reckless things.'

'Not with my mother around.'

'Yes, your mom made great food and was extremely overprotective. Remember that time you got your first hicky and was grounded for a month.'

'It wasn't my first hicky, it was the first time I got caught.'

"Kaitlyn," I turn my head and see Karlie staring at me with tired eyes. "I'm hungry." I look out the window and see that we are getting close to the ground. I give it 15 minutes.

"We're gonna land soon, can you wait?" She nods and puts her headphones back in, lean back and close her eyes.

'We are about to land soon, are you willing to drive us home?"

'Can't, I am actually out in the country side meeting Alex' mom, you know the future mother-in-law who didn't exactually picture me as daughter-in-law.'

'Typical, so who shall pick me up, I gave my driver the week off.'

'You are in luck, I called Liv this morning and she and Carson will be there to pick you up. She misses Karls.'

'Who doesn't, Its been three years.'

'Got to go, we are about to have lunch. Pray that Shelia doesn't poison me.'

'Love you Becca.'

I put my phone away, and put away everything I had out in my carry on bag. I tap Karlie and signal for her to get ready. She nods and gets her bag.

When we finally do get off the plane, I immediately see Olivia rush over to us in excitement but not trying to go to fast without waking up Carson in his carseat.

"Oh wow, look at you Karlie, you are so much more...bigger. And prettier. That happened too." Olivia was talking so fast, she was pratically bouncing, She goes to grab Karlie in a hug without jerking Carson too much.

Karlie smiles at her, and returns her hug. "Yeah, you know how California gives you...umm... a natural tan." She looks around at everything for a second before turning her attention back on Olivia, mostly Carson. "You had a baby?"

"Yep, he just turned six months..last Saturday." An awkward silence engulfed us and there was really no one talking until Carson signaled a cry for his mother. "I got to take care of my bugga, I'll meet you guys at the car?" She doesn't say another word and hands me the keys to her SUV, walking away with Carson.

I clear my throat, "So um come with me, I know what her car looks like." Karlie doens't make any movements but I know she heard me by walking away and grabbing her suitcase. I follow and all the stressful thoughts come back into my head.