Chapter One

Karlie

The funeral was nothing but depressing, I felt like I was being suffocated with everyone coming up to me, giving me pity stares, hugging me and telling me how they how know how feels. I can assure you, they don't know.

Kaitlyn got here early yesterday morning, having planned the whole funeral herself, it turned out classy, sad but classy. I was outside in my mother's garden dazing of in the sky, the sunset was hypnotizing, I was lost for words, I haven't cried in a while because it got too exhausting. I played over the moment I saw Kaitlyn again since the last two years.

Two days ago

I couldn't go back to my house; it hurt to go back there. I was in the hospital cafeteria, eating some plain oatmeal and orange juice. It tasted awful; I missed my mom's fresh blueberry waffles.

Oh god what was going to happen to the house. Everything we owned?

I picked at the dry food some more before I felt a soft hand touch my shoulder; I jumped at the contact and looked in shock at the person who was staring down at me.

"Hey sis," There she was, the beautiful Kaitlyn Mallory, my sister. She looked older, more in sense of being wise, she also looked tired and upset, you can tell by the red rimmed around her eyes. "So I just talked to the doctor, and I saw mom..." She took a deep breath, "They told me you were here all night and haven't gone to sleep, so I'm going to take you home-"

"I can't go back there Kaitlyn!" I jumped up from my seat and shook my head vigorously "I can't, she still, she still." I started sobbing and sank down to the floor. I can't go back

"Shh, honey I understand, I don't to see it either but you have to get your things, take a nap, and after that I will take you out to eat and we can talk." She was holding me and stroking my hair softly as she whispered.

"But how will I stay at school and in the house, the memories everything has here..." I drifted off not knowing how to handle the future aspects.

"Well you don't have to worry about that," I looked up at her and she gave me a weak smile. "You will be flying out to New York to live with me." My eyes widened and my breath quickens. "I know you will try to avoid this but it's the best for you-"

"The best for me! What do you know! You have never ever tried to do what's best for me! Now that mom's dead, you think you can waltz in here and act like you care!" I try to turn away from her but before I can even do that she pushes me away and stands up quickly.

"I will ignore what you just said because you are hurting, but I will not tolerate disrespect against our mother," I stare up at her as her face becomes emotionless from the warm tone she was holding earlier, I look around in the small Café to see everyone turning from our argument. "Now as I said you pack all your belongings up because you are moving in with me. To New York, and you will like it. Understand." I open my mouth but I knew what she was saying was not for question. "Good, I will send for the rest of your stuff when we get out of here."

After that she turns away from me and walks out of the cafeteria, pulling out her phone and making a call to someone as she leave; not looking back at me.

I stand up feeling numb inside and finish the rest of my breakfast.

Now

After that argument, Kaitlyn did her best to ignore me and avoid me as best as she could. Wasn't hard since she basically spent her whole life doing that.

"Hey Barbie, want a smoke?" I chuckle at the voice and turn around to see my boyfriend, Matt.

"Yeah, everyone is killing me with sad looks, it doesn't help, and it only makes me feel worse." I sigh and he gives me a sad smile as he hands me the cigarette.

"I wish I can help, really I do, but my time machine is kind of broken." I smile and lay my head on his shoulder.

"At least you tried." I take another drag and hand it back to him.

"Sooo, why do you look so grumpy, you know other than the fact that your mom passed away, your sister is forcing you to move across the country and now you will have to leave your loving boyfriend." He says the end with a dramatic effect. I shake my head but don't move my position from off his shoulder.

"I don't want to leave. Why can't your highness' just come out here?" I grumble.

"Because she works as a partner in huge law firm."

"Ugh details," I take the cigarette back, take one more last drag before stepping on it and standing up, Matt following. "The thing is that I'm a sixteen year old girl, she is twenty-four, I still have life experiences that I need to go through."

He takes my hand and we walk back inside my house. I can tell some people had left and the ones who were still here were grabbing some leftover food and kissing Kaitlyn goodbye. She looked uncomfortable with the physical contact. Good.

"I have to go; you know how my parents freak out about me being too late." He rolls his eyes and gives me a kiss. "I will see you off tomorrow though." He lets go of my hand leaves, I wave at him before crashing on the couch.

I must have fallen' asleep, because I'm being shake by someone.

"Karlie Alexa Mallory, get up and get the last of your things packed, we have to leave for the airport in three hours!" Kaitlyn's voice booms in my ear and I try to shrug her off.

"Leave me alone I'm sleeping."

"You can sleep on the plane. Now get your butt up, and change out of these clothes and finish packing, now come on Karlie I let you sleep for a couple of hours but we can't afford to be late." With that she went upstairs grabbing the rest of her stuff to put in the taxi for later.

I groan and get up to go take a shower. After that I get ready by brushing my hair, putting on my favorite outfit and packing the last of my things. When I finally dragged down my last box of things, I heard a voice.

"Hope you weren't trying to leave without my kiss goodbye." I look up to see Matt smiling at me while holding a white rose.

"Aren't you a romantic." I take the rose and just hug him, burying my face in the crooke of his neck and stay like that.

"Don't be so down, I know it all looks bad now but in the next month or so, you will be so into the New York lifestyle, you'll never want to come back." He exaggerated.

I smile "California is just as amazing." I mumbled.

"But don't you like all that culture and stuff?" He says and looks down at me confused.

"Yes I love art and fashion, but I'm going to be alone, doesn't matter though when you have a chance, you come and visit me and we will try to do everything." He smiles at me and I stand on my toes to kiss him.

We were like that for probably a minute before we heard a cough. I turn around to see Kaitlyn staring at us with a blank look. I give her one back.

"Its time to go Karlie, our taxi is here." With that she turns on her heel and walks outside. I groan and look at Matt.

I can't believe it's time to go and leave. Everyone. My friends, my boyfriend... My mom, our house, all of the memories. I can't hold it in anything anymore and start to sobb on Matt.

"Shh, its gonna be okay baby."

"No Matt you don't understand, my sister and I don't have anything I'm common, even if she tried, she only comes off as cold."

Matt pulls away from me and takes me by the shoulders and looks me in the eye. "Look here Karlie, you are a strong person who can do anything, I've seen you do it a million times and this is something really hard...but even if your sister is being difficult, be the bigger person and do you. Then you can come back to me when everything in New York is done for and we can live happily ever, okay?"

I smile and nod my head then he smiles back and kisses my nose and hugs me one last time.

"I'll miss you babe."

"I know."