t w e n t y s e v e n

Start from the beginning

"Why do you like swimming so much?" Chase questions with a small smirk as I move my arms back and forth, creating mini ripples around my body. 

I shrug and glance down at the surface, "I use to believe I was a mermaid when I was little." 

"Well, you'd make a very pretty mermaid." Chase smiles so softly and I swear to god I almost drowned myself right then and there. Why the hell am I acting like this? I've seen Chase shirtless multiple times yet I started having damn heart palpitations when he took his shirt off earlier. 

It goes quiet and I continue to play with the water as I roll so many thoughts around inside my head. I bite my lip nervously as glance up, "Hey, thanks for fixing everything earlier. I know I wasn't the most understanding and cooperative person when you told me to leave but I was honestly drunk on rage." 

I was locked in my dorm room, warded by Noah, as we waited for Chase. When the teacher's rushed by us as we were leaving, Chase had apparently convinced them that two guys got into a fight and ran off. He made damn sure that no one else or Lea talked about the fight which I was really thankful for. 

"As you should be. What Lea did was a fucking awful thing and I'm sorry she did it. But there's a time and place, and today was neither the time nor the place. You could've gotten expelled." Chase explains as I listen intently, trying to hide the smirk urging to stretch across my face. He cared. "And fuck going through the whole damn process of having another roommate." 

I couldn't stop the smirk from spreading, "You'd miss me too much." 

"Eh, I'd get over it in a day. You're not that special, Jones." Chase jokes with a cocky grin as my jaw drops and I gasp, extremely offended. I launch forward, grabbing onto his broad shoulders and dunking him under the water. And thus started our very competitive water fight. 

And I never fucking loose. Especially to Everett. 

♤♤♤♤

We agreed on a truce about fifteen minutes later when we resembled drowned rats more than actual humans. We slowly glided towards the side of the pool to catch our breath. I sink down further, resting my head back on the tiles and stare up at the roof. 

I roll my head to the side, watching as Chase rests his chin on his forearms and is staring off in the other direction. 

"You know, you never got me a present for my birthday." I state as Chase glances at me out of the corner of his eye. He then sighs and fully turns to face me. 

"What do you want?" He questions as I rest my elbows on the edge of the pool. 

"A car."

Chase rolls his eyes, "Something I can realistically purchase." 

"You can realistically purchase me a car." I repeat his words in the same sarcastic tone as Chase laughs and flicks water at me while shaking his head. "Huh, fine. Then what can you get me?" 

"Let's see, I could get you some chips from the vending machine? A book from the library? Oh, what about the stapler from Mr Oliver's drawer. You know, the green one?" Chase explains and all I could stare at was his lips. Were they always this full and good looking or am I only noticing now. "Mrs Delaney is always stealing student shit I could break into—" 

"Kiss me." 

Chase freezes instantly as he stares at me in pure silence. Holy fucking shit. Did I just say that out loud? 

Welp. There's no backing down now. 

"That's free." I shrug, laughing slightly to try ease the tension, "We can forget about it tomorrow. It only stays here, just for tonight. I haven't kissed someone in a while and I'm not sure if I'm too good at it. Oh my god, that is the worst fucking excuse in the history of excuse is. You know what, just forget I said anything. I'm sure I'd  enjoy that stapler more anywa—"