Chapter 2

Omniscient

Now Mrs. Kimberely Todd, aka, Nana was an ordinary woman. She loved her two sons Michael and Malcolm, Malcolm was Sky's father, and Sky is her one and only grandchild. Life for her as she would say, "Was no walk in the park."

Nana grew up in the Beaufort, South Carolina. That would explain her Geechie accent that would sometimes surface. Her skin is as black as the midnight sky. Her hair is short, curly, and is peppered with gray.

She got with Michael and Malcolm's father Joseph Hernandez when she was 13. They were friends, then lovers, but they never got married.

*Flashback*

Joseph Hernandez was Puerto Rican. He was from Baton Rouge, Louisana. He moved to South Carolina when he 14. The reason for the move was because his mother was being abused by his father. The two relocated to Columbia and then Beaufort South Carolina.

While there he went to Beaufort High School and there he met Nana, at the time Kimberley or Kim. They both were 17 and juniors.

At that time Kim aka Nana was a tall beautiful goddess. Everybody wanted her because she resembles Dorothy Dandridge but darker. She had a personality that could light up the whole world. Although she was nice, she was so feisty.

Joseph was short as hell. He stood at 5'7 while Nana stood at 5'9. He was very handsome. He was muscular. He was on the football team and basketball team. All of the girls at Beaufort High wanted Joseph.

Kim caught his eye because while she was stretching for cheerleading practice he was studying how long and slender her legs looked with her perfect lifted buttocks. Yes, he did like her physique, but what really caught him was her attitude.

"Hey," he called from behind her. Kim looked behind her and saw Joseph approaching her. When he finally reached her he said: "Can I take you out sometime?" Kim didn't say anything. She simply rolled her eyes gathered her stuff and walked off. "Ooo a challenge. I like that." Joseph smirked to himself.

They both had a math class together. Joseph made sure he sat beside her to annoy her until Kim requested to change her seat. Kim didn't like Joseph because he was to short. It was weird to have "midget" holla at her.

This did not stop Joseph.

To Joseph, Kim was his soon to be wife, even after her eye rolling and horrible attitude. He just loved everything about her.

Kim thought he was trying to run a game on her because he had a reputation already for fucking half her cheer mates. It dawns on her how much he wanted her when he shouted in the cafeteria "I want Kimberly Todd!" while holding a sign with her picture and name on it. Embarrassed she went up to him and said: "Okay damn, shut up."

They dated for 3 months until they finally had sex. Oh, best believe Joseph nutted all up in Kim, with a smirk on his face, making Malcolm.

~

Nana was wiping the table when she heard a knock on the door. "Who is it?"

"Me mama!" she sighed when she heard her son, Michael's voice. Michael usually comes around for money to support his bad drug habit. He came three days ago to borrow money from Nana for groceries as he would say. But every time times he visits he becomes smaller and smaller. At first, Nana didn't know until one day a neighbor confessed to her that he saw her son going into Carlos Santos' house. A well-known Dopeman who sold crack and coke in the neighborhood. You can only put two and two together. After founding that out she vowed to never give Michael any more money.

"Man, bo." she said putting the cleaning supplies "What does he want?" she walked towards the door and checked the peephole. There she saw her son Michael.

Looking through the peephole she noticed that he was jittery. She took in a deep breath and opened the door. "What you want boy? I cleaning."

"Can I please talk to you mama?" she sighed.

Now everybody knew how Nana was. When Sky goes to school she wants alone time until Sky comes back home at 5 pm or 6 pm. "It will be a quick mama."

"I know." she opened the screen door for him to come in. She led him to the dining room table and sat down. "Now talk."

Michael took a deep breath. He sat across from his mother twiddling his fingers. He kept jumping and he sweating very hard. At this point, Nana knows exactly what's wrong with Michael. He's high. "Michael?"

"Mama I have HIV."

The room fell silent for a moment. Nana stared at her son in shock. Tears began to swell up in her eyes "What?"

Michael swallowed loudly avoiding eye contact with his mother. "Brenda."

"Who the fuck is Brenda?" she asked "I hope it's not the neighborhood hoe. I told you not to mess with that gal Michael."

Michael kept his eyes down staring at his fingers. He was still twiddling them.

"I know mama. I should've listened." Michael finally began to cry. "Mama I didn't know!"

Michael is 27 years old. With HIV and guess what? As the minutes went by his mother began to go cold. "So catching gonorrhea wasn't a warning for you?"

Michael began sobbing harder.

Nana just looked at him. She couldn't bring herself to feel sorry for him. Michael caught gonorrhea about 5 times and each time she paid for his treatments out of pocket because he didn't have health insurance. She sighed and rubbed her eyes. She had to remind herself that Michael was her son and she loved him. No matter what he does she will always love him.

"Mama?" Nana looked at Michael with tears in her eyes. "Yes,"

"Can I have some money?" Nana stare turned cold. "What for?"

"For groceries."

"Michael, I gave you $60 for groceries almost three days ago. There's no way you ate $60 dollars worth of food that fast."

"Momma I know how to eat." He grinned slightly patting his flat stomach. "Boy you look like a concentration camp survivor." she hissed. "I'm not giving you any money. I know what you're using it for." Nana accent creeped out with each word. She knew Michael was lying to her.

Michael's eyes got wide. "I-I-I-"

"I-I-I-I hell get out." Nana pointed to the door. "Come back when you stop lying."

Michael remained in the chair for a minute looking at his mother. "You hard of hearing?"

Michael sighed and got up. He walked out of the dining room. Before he exited the dining room he turned towards his mother and hissed "I hate you."

"Remember that," she called out.

"I will," he said slamming the door shut behind.