Chapter 1: Rumor's Man

Rumors and gossip, that's how they all start out. But, then they grow. The feelings, strong attachments, negative energy.... Until they finally grow and cover someone, and they can't get out no matter how hard they try. It was like he was entrapped in a box he couldn't escape from, until a certain hand pulled him out from his darkness. The story I'm about to tell you is about the results, of someone who was possessed by the false information others said about him.

Disgusting!...

Look at that delinquent!

Can't he even try to dress nice?!! So sloppy!

He's probably stupid as he is ugly!

You think he's a Yankee?!

Harsh whispers continued to echo down the hallways of Benmont High School. All of them directed to one boy. His head phones' volume was on high, his jet-black hair was too long so his bangs hung over his face, reaching a bit past his nose. He wore jeans a size too large with holes in it, his T-shirt was dark blue, a few stitched holes on it. Not only that, his sneakers were worn out, his jacket was striped dark gray and black, his hood draped over his head.

In his head Jake thought, It's growing heavier, this stupid barrier...

Jake Darwins never speaks to anyone. He never dressed school appropriately because he liked wearing the ripped with holes style. So he was always reprimanded by teachers. He went to a prestigious school that only people of high standing, class, or someone with a scholarship could enter. Everyone guessed Jake was from a wealthy family with so much power he could do whatever he wanted.

No one has ever completely seen Jake's face. People aren't completely sure what his eye color even is. Some say his eyes are dark brown. Rumors say his eyes are black as pitch, or red like blood, or things like he doesn't even have eyes just dark, empty sockets. Others gossiped that when he smiled the world turns dark, and demons come from the underworld signaling The End.

Silently, Jake sat down at his assigned seat. He paid no attention to the teacher as she introduced a new student. Finally, he peered up to see a girl standing before the class. She was radiant like the sun, stood out in the most wonderful way. The exact opposite of him. Even the most popular guy, Steven Trailers, made eyes at the new girl. Girls from the class shot envious glares at her. She didn't notice.

The teacher introduced. "This is Latrisha Monson, she will be attending Benmont from now on."

The class began chattering. The Monson family was a wealthy, well-known and owned a large company. Her father, Larry Monson, didn't care for status and only wished his daughter marry a very intelligent man to take over the company. Latrisha Monson had long, curly blood red hair. Her eyes were a light gray that outshines the moon. And her skin like porcelain.

Jake looked up in unreadable awe and was inspired. Quietly, he picked up his pad and lightly sketched her down. Then, wrote a tiny poem next to the sketched figure.

Hair red as blood, brighter than the sun
Eyes like gray pools which outshine the moon
Skin like porcelain or snow
Without visible flaw

He ended the poem there, and put his notepad in his backpack pocket. The bell rang for the next period to start, he swung his backpack over his shoulder, and no one dared move until he left the room. As he exited he caught the curiosity of Latrisha Monson.

Math, English, Science, Chemistry, History, P.E., and electives, she was in all of his classes. The only time he didn't see her was usually break and lunch. Even then, he got a few glimpses of her. Whenever she saw him she'd hold her stare even if he wasn't aware. Then, she would smile a brilliantly white smile, even if she thought he wasn't looking.