Chapter 23- Interview

Mirada P.O.V
I turn this way and that in the mirror. I'm wearing a grey dress with lace around the neck and a poufy skirt. A pretty bow is on my waist. Again, Make-up is minimal and my feet are covered with flats. Xenia smiles next to me. "Beautiful."

He leads me out to the living room of our floor. Luckily this will be a televised so I won't have a live audience. Haymitch and Cainly are standing to the side. Ceaser is talking to the camera crew.

When I walk up to him he grins, gives me a hug and kisses my cheek. "How's our lucky little victor feeling?" I smile shakily. "A little nervous." I admit. He smiles assuringly, "Don't worry dear. You'll do fine." Yeah, sure I will. Everything I say will he held against me.

I sit on the couch and wait for the cameras. I see Haymitch's eyes on me, reminding me of what here said to me yesterday. Just act like you were delusional. It will be fine. That's funny. No it won't.

Then "3 2 1 and start." Ceaser welcomes the watchers then turns to me. I take a deep breathe, smile as much as possible and answer the questions as calmly as possible. Then he gets to a complicated one.

"So, how did you feel when you watched Xavier die?" My heart almost stops at his question. Why would he ask this. The look on Haymitch's face shows that he is furious.

"I- I guess. Well, it... it was hard. He wanted to protect him and I just wished there was someway to keep him alive." When I finish and look up, Ceaser is whipping the tears from his eyes. "That is too sweet." Then he straightens. "And of course. How did you feel about Kaya's death. And how you felt about Nardo killing her."

I take a breathe. "I miss her. If she was destined to die, i wish it would have happened quicker and less painful. And definitely in a different way from Nardo stabbing her. I guess loyalty to your district only goes so far in the arena." Ceaser nods.

"Now, as you may know. People were confused on what you said about your best friend? How she died. Tell us about that."

Here it is. The big question. One wrong move and everyone I love will die. I make eye contact with Haymitch and he gives a slight nod.

"She wasn't killed by the Capitol. She died from the disease that we had never seen. But when you're in the arena, you get delusional. You don't know what's happening. So, dreams turn to reality and you mix them. I had dreams of when the peacekeepers came back to take her body from the house. So, I imagined it was real. I shouldn't have said it. I didn't mean to cause confusion or worry."

Ceaser gives a empathetic nod and pats my knee. "Yes that makes sense. Don't you worry." I duck my head and smile sadly. Got it.

Ceaser and I say good-bye and sign off. He says goodbye then him and the camera crew are out the door quickly. Haymitch gives me a hug and whispers "good job kid" in my ear. I go to my room and shower. I wash all the makeup down the sink and wash my hair. I change into tight black pants and a long sleeved burgundy shirt. I braid my hair down my shoulder and glance around the room.

I didn't think I would ever return to this room alive. Apparently i didn't have enough faith in myself as I should have. I shake my head and leave the room quickly. When I step out, Haymitch is standing there. I smile gently, "What-" He reaches forward and clips something around my neck. My fingers graze the cold metal of a necklace. The gold chain with the small golden ball.

I smirk at him. He returns it. "They took it off when you got back. Thought you might want it back." I nod, then jump forward and hug him. He holds me tightly and whispers again in my ear. "You need to be careful." I nod my head against his cheek. Then I pull away and smile. "Thanks for the advice." He rolls his eyes and I follow him as he walks towards the elevator.

When I get to the living room, Xenia, Cinna and my prep team are waiting. The Prep team hugs me and tells me that they can't wait for the Victory Tour. That's right. The Victory tour. When I'm paraded around the Districts. A reminder of the games. Like everything else in the Capitol. Sick.

Then Xenia walks up to me and hugs me. "It was a pleasure to be your Stylist. I can't wait to see you again." He kisses my head and steps away. Then Cinna steps up and hugs me. We have gotten closer. He understands me. That's the best way to put. Till Haymitch, I never really had a best friend. But I guess I could call him that. He whispers in my ear, "Don't let them push you down. You're strong." I nod as he steps away. Then I'm being lead by Cainly and Haymitch down the elevator.

In no time at all, we're on the train home. I eat dinner with Cainly and Haymitch then go sit in my room. I try fall asleep, but find that I can't. Not now. I'm almost home. For reason, that word doesn't seem as amazing and good as it should. Because of Snow.

Haymitch comes in and sits next to me on the edge of my bed. We don't speak. I feel his hand close around my and feel safer. Snow won't touch me. Not while Haymitch is here. But it's not me I'm worried about. It's my only living relative I'm worried about.

When I feel the train screech to a stop, we stand and make our way to the doors of the train where Cainly is waiting with a big smile. I stand as tall as I can.

"Hey." a voice says. I turn my face to Haymitch. "Smile. You deserve it." I try to smile but find it a faltering look. Haymitch lifts my head with his hand. "You've been through a lot. I get it."

Then the doors slid open and I'm faced with the happy, yelling crowd.