III

Luka landed on his feet beside Clary who was sitting down. He looked around, seeing that the two of them had arrived at the police station. Clary yelped as see moved her wrist. Luka knelt down, "You okay Red?" The girl in question looked up at him, and without words, he had his answer. The pain and confusion written on her face was enough for that. 

"Clary? Luka?" A blonde women called as she walked up the stairs. "Captain Vargas." Luka helped Clary to her feet as the woman approached, "It's two in the morning. What are you doing here so late?" Clary opened her mouth but Luka cut in, "We went out for Clary's birthday and I uh had a couple of drinks. Luke said he'd give us a ride home since I'd hate to cause an accident." Luka lied hoping it would stop the woman from questioning why he, a 24 year old male, couldn't dive the two of them home. Clary nodded, "Y-Yeah..." Luka wrapped an arm around the girls shoulders protectively.

"Still doesn't trust those cabbies, huh?" Vargas asked, Luka nodded. "Well, he's in the middle of an interview. It could take while." Clary nodded still not being completely there, "Cool we'll wait in the cafeteria." Luka and Clary began to walk away, "Hey, uh... is there some sort of problem? Guy trouble?" The captain asked. Luka shock his head, "Everything is fine, thank you for your concern." He sent the captain a fake smile. She smiled a little in return before walking away. Once the captain was gone. Luka and Clary headed towards Luke. It was silent. Clary had so many question she didn't know where to start and Luka unsure of how to explain the world to the girl.

As they approached, Luka could hear voices. He pull Clary down so they were both hiding from those they could hear. "The minute we found out Jocelyn Fairchild was alive, you were easy to track." Luka growled a little, as he listened, "Fairchild?" He heard Clary breath out beside him. Slowly he took the girl's hand in his own to show her the comfort needed. "Turns out you and Jocelyn were never that far apart. The circle has her now." Luka's grip tightened on Clary's hand. causing the girl to look at him. His beautiful silver eyes had darkened, now set in a piercing glare at the two with Luke. "It's just a matter of time until we catch the daughter."

"You can have them both if you give up the Mortal Cup." Luka's breath hitched for a moment as he waited for his role model to respond, and when he did, Luka felt betrayal coarse though out his body. "I don't care about either of them. They mean nothing to me. Kill them both if you like. My people want the Cup. Why do you think I've been hanging around here all these years? Now when I find the cup, I'm gonna keep it, and you can tell Valentine and the circle that." At the name of the monster that made all downworlders even fear it's mention, Luka felt a chill go down his spine and froze. Memories of a distant childhood flooded his mind.

The dark haired male zone out, at least until Clary pulled his arm. He could see the tears in Clary's eyes. Luka stood up and they left the building. Clary tried to run but Luka stopped her, "I need to make a quick call. Please." Clary nodded. The pale boy pulled out his phone, dialing the number of one Laila Garroway. "Hey Luka, why are you calling so early in the morning?" A very tired sounding voice answered, "Are you with the others?" His own voice sounded urgent. "Yeah? Is everything okay?" Luka sighed, a little in relief, a little in exhaustion. "I'll explain later. I want you to stay with the pack. Do not go home or talk to Luke until I clear some stuff up."

"What?! Dude, what the hell has gotten into you? I can't just stop talking to my da--" Luka growled a little, his eyes turning green, "This is not up for debate Laila. Listen to me for once please and do not call him. Also let Magnus and the others know I'll be home soon." He looked over at Clary, "I have some stuff I need to do." Without allowing the girl on the other side of the call to answer he hung up, stuffing the phone back into his pocket. Luka then nodded to Clary and the two began running back to the home they had just left though the pouring rain.

When they both arrive, they were soaked. Clary began calling out to her mother as they went inside. Seeing the place broken it was obvious there had been a struggle. As Clary screamed, Luka pulled the girl into his chest. He let her cry, he let her cling to the dark blue fabric of his shirt. After a minute or two, the redheaded girl pulled away. She walked over picking up an axe that had been laying among the many broken items. "Clary." Luka called out, "We can't stay here." He was holding back his emotions, Jocelyn was like the true mother he never had... and now she was gone.

Clary however walked further into the home. The axe by her side, Luka following behind. It was dark and the only sound was the rain falling outside. Luka was paying close attention to everything around him. Turning a corner, the two saw a familiar face. but that's all it was, a face, Luka could tell, but he knew Clary couldn't. The girl began to walk towards the demon, "Dot." She dropped the axe much to Luka's displeasure. "They took Jocelyn." The demon stated. "Who took her?" The pale boy walked forward, getting closer to the demon. "Rogue Shadowhunters searching for the Mortal Cup."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Clary cried as the demon walked closer. By now Luka was standing between 'Dot' and his redheaded friend. "Think, Clary. Did your mother ever talk to you about a cup? A very important cup. It's gold, almost like a chalice." Luka glared, a growl leaving his throat, his eyes once again glowing. "No! No, I don't know anything about a cup, Dot. One of the antiquities downstairs?"

"No, no, not those." The demon was now standing right in front of Luka, he could almost feel it's breath. The boy resisted the urge to attack the demon right then and there, knowing that if Clary saw him 'murder Dot' she would lose all trust in him. "Think, Clary. This could save Jocelyn." Luka could feel Clary shaking behind him, "I can't think! Someone kidnapped my mother!" With these words, the demon's act began to fade, "You know more than you think you do, Clary Fray." With that the demon attacked. Luka pushed Clary back, sending the demon to the ground with a hard kick. He watch as it changed in to it's true form.

Luka growled, baring his teeth, he could feel his nails turn to claws and his teeth sharpen. The demon quickly got to it's feet, rushing at the boy who had gotten between it and it's pray. Luka tried to hold it off, but the demon managed to pierce the boy shoulder. Luka groaned, throwing the demon away from him. The boy shock his head, he knew about the demon venom. As the demon began to close in on Clary, pinning her to the wall, Luka acted on instinct. He throw himself in between the creature and his friend. The downworlder was ready for death to come for him. His final thoughts were about his pack.

But death would not claim him today. A seraph blade was soon inches from his chest as the blonde shadow hunter from the club stabbed the creature. Which soon disappeared, vaporizing. Luka narrowed his eyes trying to make them focus on the person in front of him, "What, no 'thank you' for saving your life?" Luka scoffed turning to Clary, "You okay? Did the demon get you at all?" The red hair girl shock her head. Luka sighed in relief and turned to the blonde, his vision starting to fail him. Luka pulled his phone from his pocket, quickly dialing his pack warlock's number, "Iris... I need your help." The boy started to feel weak, "What did you do now?" 

Luka lent against a wall and groaned, "Ravener demon." looked towards Clary and the Shadowhunter, "I'm going to need you... to come find me..." with that the last of his strength faded as he collapsed, phone falling from his hand. The last thing he heard as he slipped away was Clary calling his name.