"Aye, lad, he'd risk bringing the soldiers of Hope down on them. If they had a backbone, that is." Galin seemed to be faring better in the thick forest than his taller companions. Even when his steel shod boots tangled in the underbrush, he managed to pull free and weave through without disturbing a thing while following Janessa's lead. Halflings were a distant relation to Elves. He knew that because all races the Dwarves trusted had to be related to the Elves. Funny, he thought, that a people could have so many relatives. He would've laughed at the thought as any good Dwarf would, but he'd come to like the little thief. She had a sense of honor and purpose about her one rarely saw in her kind. Or perhaps it was a trait the other races refused to see? Either way, he considered her a friend. He just didn't like to admit it even to himself.

He rested a comforting hand on Janessa's shoulder. "Don't worry, lass, we'll find them," Galin reassured her in lowered tones so the others wouldn't hear. They each had their own concerns about their friend's decision.

Janessa was lost in her own thoughts, dark thoughts about the pain Viola had to bear before her death. Her mind went from that to the gargoyle, then to Berek and his bravery. If only she'd been stronger, faster. If only she hadn't wanted to go to the pit fights, none of that would've happened.

Galin's soft words pierced the thick haze forming a barrier within her mind. His concern was genuine. She gained more friends at the cost of her best friend. Was that a fair exchange? She didn't think so, but it wasn't any of their faults. Viola had seemed strange when she decided to remain behind. Had she known what was to happen? Was Berek right that she was still alive? Janessa's resolve began to erode, but not to the point where she was willing to forgive. Their attacker had to be slain; he had to pay for the murder he may have committed. Janessa scared herself; even she noticed she didn't sound like herself.

The Halfling let out a deep breath and tried to smile at Galin, but what appeared was a sour looking smile. "I know, it's just that... that I should be there with him. It's more my fault than his."

To her surprise, he nodded. "Aye, lass, but that's why he's doing it. You've been through so much, he wants to spare you more pain."

Janessa's eyes widened for an instant. She hadn't thought of that! A tear began to form in her eye as she understood Berek's intentions. She was soiled by blood. The one time she killed had nearly destroyed her.

Galin watched her with a practiced eye. She understood as he did. Not even Gilliam understood his nephew as much as he liked to believe. I must be getting wise in my mid years, he thought, though he wasn't sure where it came from. "You'll have your chance, lass. Not everyone can say that."

A sudden wave of heat and smoke rose into the air not more than a mile from them as a deep throated scream of agony ripped through the air.

"Sounds like he found Fech." Gilliam raised his mace and broke into a run as did the others.

"Aye, and the beast doesn't sound none too happy."

Fleir kept up with them through the forest with ease, the only impediment was her clothing as it snagged on every branch, but she refused to let it stop her. She had a desire to reach her beloved, but knew they were moving too slow. Desperate to ensure their arrival and Berek's safety, she closed her eyes and began the metamorphosis. In seconds, she changed into a wisp of air and enveloped the companions. Using as much of her magic as she dared, they became enshrouded, wisps of air like herself. To their surprise, their speed increased, leaving them not knowing how they arrived at the clearing as the wounded gargoyle and human locked in an embrace of magic.

*****

The fireball. It was the one powerful spell Fech knew. It was born into all of the Draconian races, but not always with the ability to use it. He disliked it because it drained him of so much of his energy and strength, both of which he needed against a human he and Renard had underestimated.

Fech's last attack had been repelled; how, he had no idea, and it nearly caught him in another inferno. His wings and gravely hide were blistered from Berek's initial attack and pained him. Gargoyles were ambush specialists, few survived when the tables were turned.

Berek cast a spell of his own, one that fired numerous purplish objects at the gargoyle. Furious, Fech didn't notice the arrival of the others as he leapt into the air. He dodged a couple of the magical missiles, but some found their mark, causing pain to tear through his body as they burned into him. He wanted to end this torment; the sport of the hunt, the challenge was gone. For the first time, he feared for his life and asked if this man had needed help against the Nursk brothers? Until then, he believed Berek had been aided, now he wasn't so sure.

His flight pattern forced Berek to circle around, a task that proved to be enough to disrupt his concentration, which meant there would be no more magic. Fech was pleased with himself for his maneuvering and dove for the human. Too late, he saw he'd fallen into a trap as Berek grabbed for the sword the gargoyle had tossed aside only moments before. Oh well, Fech thought, I'll die but this human will join me.

A shout from the side broke the gargoyle's concentration for a moment. So, he failed to kill Berek's friends. A pity they survived only to see their hero killed. Fech smiled as his red glowing eyes locked on Berek's all black eyes. Fech recognized those eyes, the ones all Draconian kind feared. Numb from his instinctual fear, he didn't feel the burning blade slice through him, nor the impact with the human. His only thought was to kill the human before it was too late.

The companions stopped in awe at the sight before them. Fleir dropped to her knees, unable to move from exhaustion after transporting all of them to her beloved. The erupting scream took them all by surprise except for one. Somehow, it was like Janessa had expected it as she raced towards Berek. She felt it happen, but couldn't ever recall doing it afterwards.

The sight and sound of the impact shook Janessa, more so than the lack of screams from the two combatants. She was sure the large gargoyle crushed Berek, but the beast continued struggling with him, trying to rip Berek's face apart with its failing strength. The scene was horrifying, a flaming sword blade stuck out from Fech's back, his wings and skin were badly burned, and there was blood everywhere. Both black and red covered the two as they each fought for Berek's life.

Berek was losing, Janessa could tell. Just a few feet away, she could see Berek's strength fading. The gargoyle would kill him before it died. She couldn't allow it to happen, not to another friend. She pulled out the silver dagger she'd bought from Galin just a couple of days before and leapt onto the gargoyle's back. Janessa struggled to hold on as the flames from the sword burned her leather leggings and legs. In desperation, she raised the dagger and stabbed down as hard as she could. Everything around her stopped as if that moment were frozen in time. Feeling and motion returned when the gargoyle went limp and fell to the side. She scrambled off its back to avoid being pinned and found herself on top of Berek.

To her surprise, he smiled at her, his face was caked in blood from himself and Fech. "Well done... warrior." Berek's voice was little more than a whisper and was followed by a coughing fit that brought out a mouthful of blood.

Crying, Janessa grabbed his collar, "Don't you die, Berek! Don't you dare die!" She thought she heard words of magic, but they weren't the same she was used to hearing from Viola. The last thing she saw before everything went black was Berek closing his eyes.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading The Sword and the Flame: The Forging. As much as I hate cliffhangers, this is where book one ends. If you would like the entire volume, it's available for free at Amazon.com. If you'd like to continue adventuring with the companions, the second book, The Sword and the Flame: The Purging, is also available on Amazon.

I'm still deciding what I'm going to share next week. Maybe we'll delve back into horror, or maybe stay on Pyrain with a separate advanture. Guess we'll find out. Until then, let your imaginations fly, my friends. :)