It was early in the evening and the sun was just starting to go down. I held her hand, it had become a natural thing for us now. Our hands fit perfectly together. Its like they were two puzzle pieces, made for each other. Every time I touched her, though, it sent electric sparks throughout my whole body. I felt alive, like I was full of life. The affect she had on me was amazing.

            “Hailey,” I decided I needed to be honest with her, about everything, my feelings and the band. They boys and I had decided it was time to tell her and Melissa, but we just weren’t sure when the moment was, but I knew I needed to do it, now. One thing at a time. I’ll tell her about the band first, then another time, I would tell her how I felt.  “Hailey,” I said again, “I think I’m falling in love with you.” Wait. Dammit, I just said the wrong thing. How could you do that, Lou. Stupid! We both froze when I said it, and she just looked at me.

            “What?” she asked.

            Well, I had already said it… “I think I’m falling in love with you,” I said again, more confidently, this time. “Since the first day we met, I saw you on the beach that morning, and I haven’t been able to get you out of my head. When I’m not with you, I want to be. And I’m so happy again. It’s been so long since I’ve been genuinely happy, but I feel like myself again, and you’ve done that to me. And I know you don’t feel the same way, but I just wanted to get it out there.” I finished, then blushed at how much I had just told her.

            She just stood there for a minute, before she finally said just above a whisper, “we should go back to the house.”

            And that did it. “Okay,” I said, dropping her hand. I knew she didn’t feel the same way about me, why would she? I’m nobody, compared to her. But still, there was part of me that hoped. I dropped her off at the house and said, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything. Can we please forget about this, and be best friends again? Please?”

            She smiled at me. “Yeah. I’ll see you tomorrow? Mel and I will come to the house.”

            “Okay,” I said, and smiled her as warmly as I could, but inside, my heart had been shattered.

            I walked back to our house, trying to tell myself I knew she didn’t feel the same way, but I was still hurt. However, I wasn’t going to let our friendship be messed up. When she came over, I would exact the same way I always did. Nothing would be different.

            “How’s Hailey?” Liam asked when I walked in.

            “Good. She’s definitely getting better. We went for a little walk on the beach today, and she felt fine after that, so yeah.” I said. “I’m going to go to bed early. Didn’t sleep well last night.”

            I went downstairs to my room, and closed the door. I got in my basketball shorts, and t-shirt, and laid down, trying to calm my thoughts. A few minutes later, there was a soft knock on my door, and Zayn’s head popped in.

            “Louis?” he asked softly.

            “Yeah, Zayn?” I asked as I sat up.

            “You want to talk, bud?”

            I didn’t answer right away, so he just came in, and sat down on the bed next to me. Zayn and I were always close. He knew when something was wrong, he could just see past things that most other people couldn’t.

            “I told her how I felt tonight.” I said after we sat there for a minute. “I didn’t mean to, we were walking along the beach, and I was thinking about the two things I really wanted to tell her: how I felt, and about the band. I was going to tell her about us, but then before I could stop it, I told her I was falling in love with her,” I groaned, “I’m so stupid! Why would I do that? Why would I risk our friendship?”