Chapter Nine: The City

Picture: Leif

**********************

When I wake up I'm on a soft bed. I'm in a light breezy gown. And all around me I see white. Hm, so maybe I did die and now I'm in heaven. Then a beautiful angle of darkness is above me, his brilliant blue eyes shinning. His lips are moving, but I can't hear. I reach out and press my fingers to his lips. His eyes look puzzled.

But why? I was dead, why didn't I get to do what I wanted to? I hate how his black hair is falling in his eyes so I brush it across his forehead with my finger tips. And then another face is in the picture. This one has dark hair and blue eyes with freackles. It's Chale. The angle is Leif. I'm not dead, but I will be soon.

Dead of embaressment that is.

"Were am I?" I ask groggily. Everything seems intence. Brighter, louder. "Your in a hospital, after your accident while camping. But your okay now, don't worry Snow." Matt comes out of no were. I open my mouth to ask who Snow is when I see the Visitor tages of everybodys shirts. Shell's reads Filli, Leif's says Lake, Chales says Yail, and Matt's reads Riz.

Were did they come up with those names? "Don't worry we called your Mom and Dad and they trust we are taking care of you" Oookay? I looked around at the hospital and didn't like it. I hated the smell of cleaning supplies.

I gage at how strong the smell is. "When can I leave?" I wonder. "Tomarrow." A doctor walks in. "Why not now?" I beg. "Because we need to give your body time to get rid of the last of the Devil's Soul." She explain. I freeze. I had the Devil's Soul? Crap... And to think I though I was some how evolving....

I'm a lunatic...

I belong in a stright jacket.....

I should be in a small room with six hadded walls.....

"I thought you always died if you had the Devil's Soul." I point out. "Yes, but, you wern't even in the first stage yet when they brought you in, so we were able to rid your body of the diseas." He explains. "Oh." Is all I can wrap my mind to say.

So for the next twenty four hours I have been sitting in my bed, playing cards with my companions and begging to be let out.

I was sick and tiered of being sentenced to bed. And when my twenty four hours came, I was given a pair of jeans and a purple, button up shirt. I wrinkle my nose as I dress in the stiff pants and the odd shirt.

My companions chattered about what they liked the most about the city, absently giving me clues as to what I was getting myself into. And even then when we walked out of the Hospital my breath cought in my throat. It was amazing and big. Big to the point of over whelming. "Whoa." I marvled openly. "Awesome right?" Chale asks. "Yeah, it's amazing!" I reaspond.

We go to a reasturant and the food is delicous. Apparently Matt got a bundle of cash for all of us from the same place he got the ID cards. So we ate delicous food, and for some reason I felt in debt towards Matt now. But then suddenly it hit me, what if Matt isn't his real name?

Crap...

My food stuck in my throat. "Are you okay Snow?" Leif asks. I nod, not wanting to go back into bed rest. But I continue to stair, no glare, at Matt. He clears his throat awkwardly. "May I help you?" He asks, I just glare at him. "Tell us the truth." I demand.

He holds my icy glare with his own. "About what?" He leans forward, his elbows on the table. "About yourself." I said, leaning in to mock his postiton. Everybody is barly breathing at our exchange. I realize I can hear their heart beats.

I try to ignor the thumping sensation, but I can still hear it. A shiver runs through me but I blow it off. "I can't think of anything I know about you that is the truth." He pointed out. "No, but you know our names." I retort, all he does is shrug, "And you know mine."

I glare at him more intensly. "Don't lie to me, Matt." I hiss. He seems unfaltered. "Remember, we know about the lillegal camp you run." I threaten, his heart skips a beat but then goes back to normal. "You can't tell about it with out getting yourselfs cought." He counters.

"It will be annonamous." I press my lips together. I hate threatening people, but I see no other way to get information out of Matt. I cocke my head as I hear his heart beat start to thump. "No." He said sternly. "S, cut it off..." Chale demands, I ignore him. "Tell us Matt, tell us all about your self." I raise my eye brows. His face flushes red, "Ever heard of survalence, hun? If not you might wanna look into it." He got up and shoved his chair back.

I swallow hard as I realize why his heart had sped up, he wasn't nervous, he was mad. The other three are all quiet, "I'll go calm down Matt." Shell gets up and walks out the door after him. "God I hate the guy, but what you did was stupid..." Chale grumbled going after Shell.

I glare at Leif, daring him to walk off on me. But he is just leaning back in his chair, his hair falling in his blue eyes, and a smirk on his face. "What?" I asked moodily. He just smiled and shrugged, "You seem different." He admits. I lean his way, like Matt had done; "How so.." I use a slow, quiet voice.

He mocks my movments, "You seem more aware, smarter.... You look different too." His eyes are locked on mine. I'm oblivious of the rest of the world, only Leif is in my tunnle vision. "Oh?" I ask leaning forward slightly. "I don't think you had the Devil's Soul, S, I think what you had... enhanced you." He are almost tuching now. I can't think.

I can't move.

I'm locked in on Leif.

Nothing else. Nothing at all. He smirkes and leans back into his seat, snapping me back to right here and now. I'm dazed though. I look around to make sure Chale hadn't seen, and thats' when I see the deep, giant, brown eyes. I gulp. I know those eyes, and those eyes know me.

The guy has long legs stretched out under the table he is sitting at. You can see the veins and the muscle in his well sculpted arms. His torso has the shape of strong shoulders that narrow down into a slim waist. His tousled, messy blonde hair is falling all over his brown eyes.

But I know those eyes. I can't stop stairing at him. And when his eyes flicker over to my direction, they land on me. They land on me and my obvious red hair......

He looks me right in the eyes and then turn backs to the girl he had been talking with.

"Leif, we gotta go." I said.

"Why?" He asks.

"Because I suddenly don't feel right." I looked in Leif's eyes and he seemed to see my fear in my own eyes.

We stood to leave, but when I looked back at the table, the assassin is gone!

"Leif run!" I grab his arm and sprint to the door.

We shout at our companions to run and they follow us.

We run and run and run, but we have to stop some time, and when we do it isn't pretty.

Two stronge arms snag me and pull me away from my people.

I scream and thrash and kick around but then a white clothe is pressed to my face and the world goes foggy.

I continue to fight the drug, but it becomes over powering. I black out in the arms of a stranger.