• Chapter Eleven •

Start from the beginning

Smiling, Anna bounded down the aisle. "I'm going to tell someone I love them."

"Just someone?" Ben teased. "Any old person?"

Anna sighed contentedly. "Oh no, this person is very special. Very special indeed."

"And what might this lucky person's name be?"

"...her name is Faith..."

Ben sighed and jokingly put his head in his hands. "Oh my, I think I spend too much time at your house. I'm rubbing off on you."

Anna laughed again, and continued to look at flowers. "How is Rae, by the way? Last time I asked, you threw a pillow and told me he was a blithering idiot, but I understand you two are alright now?"

"We made up, yes", Ben said happily. "He is doing wonderfully, and I am as well."

"That's great!"

Anna settled on a nice bouquet of bluebells and one light purple rose.

"These are her favourite flowers", Anna smiled. "I really want her to like them."

Ben reached out and squeezed the young girl's shoulder. "I'm sure she will. You're the most thoughtful and sweet friend anyone could ever ask for. And trust me, if you consider her more than a friend, it's better to tell her then to live in scared silence". Ben winked. "I know from experience."

Anna nodded, and pulled her wallet out of her pocket. Ben rolled his eyes.

"Do you really expect me to make you pay for these, darling?"

Anna blinked. "Yes...?"

Ben snatched the flowers from Anna. "No!"

He set the bluebells on the counter in front of the cash register, then clasped Anna's hands in his own.

"I've always supported you, and I'm really excited for you today. You had better believe I'm giving you these flowers for free," he said with a smile.

Giving her back the flowers, he ushered her to the door.

Anna stuttered. "I don't-"

Ben shushed her. "Not another word. Go get your girl!" He laughed as a shocked looking Anna rushed to her car, waving goodbye.

As soon as she was out of sight, Ben pulled out his phone and called Anna's mom.

"Operation Anna-needs-to-get-a-girlfriend is in action. She's on her way to give Faith the flowers."

Skyla laughed. "Good. She's had goo goo eyes for that girl for years. And if I'm not mistaken, it's not one sided either."

"Yes well", Ben picked a rose out of a bouquet and twirled it around in his fingers. "When they live happily ever after and need someone to organize their wedding, you know who to call."

Skyla chuckled nervously. "Let's not jump ahead of ourselves, now. They're only young after all. I don't want them to grow up too fast."

After a few more minutes of chatting, Ben had to open his shop to the public.

"You should talk to her about it after", Ben suggested, turning the closed sign to open.