II.

With the looks of the weather, it doesn't take me long to decide what to wear. My usual band shirt and black skinny jeans. I tied my long, golden brown hair into a high ponytail, slipped on my black Chucks, and raced downstairs to catch breakfast.

"Good morning daughter!" My mother greeted me with a smile as my dad kissed my forehead. I sat at the island nervously tapping on the wood. My mother turned to me with a smile. "Isn't today the day Michael gets home?" I try not to make it obvious at how much I miss my best friend. I try not to talk or even think about it that much.  Knowing my mother, she'll get all nosey and I'm too tired to deal with it.

"It is? I hadn't noticed the date." I sarcastically smile, biting into my toast. She smiles at my wise remark, focusing back on the omelette cooking on the stove.

Michael and I have been friends since we were both ten. We've always been inseperable from the minute we met. He was the only person who never teased me because I was too quiet in school. Neither one of us have any siblings so we always just had each other.

I can always go to him about anything, even though most times he'll annoy me to the point where I have to tell him. Our parents weren't exactly fond of us hanging out at first but we've always been too much alike to not be friends. My parents have grown to love Michael a lot, almost like the son they never had. And the feeling is mutual with his family. I'd be lying if I said I didn't go over his parents house just to hang out every once in awhile.

Before Michael, and the other mates left for tour, he dragged me to a tattoo shop to get matching best friend tattoos together. He also made me promise him that I'd still be his best friend no matter what happened while he was away. That was 296 days ago now. I've become so close to Luke, Ashton, and Calum as well. I spent so many nights during the past few months wishing we were all sat in Ash's garage again, while I watched the four of them make dick jokes with one another and play music. You don't ever really get used to seeing your best friends in magazines or on television instead of on your living room couch playing video games.

With uni, it's so hard for me to keep up with all that the lads are doing. If it isn't school, it's work. And timezones are clearly not my best friend. Michael's mom, Karen does her best to keep up so she fills us all in when she and Michael's dad come over for dinner occasionally. Some nights I would forget what they look like. It started to feel as if they were complete strangers.

I think about it more than I'll ever admit. But it gets me nowhere than being stuck in a two hour lecture admiring this X tattooed on my middle finger and almost ten more hours to wrack up my nerves.